Part eleven - We Need To Talk

Once the bitterest words I'd ever said fell from my lips I cried harder. I hadn't come to terms with this yet. I was making the best of what I had. I rested my head against the steering wheel and tried to calm down.

"I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean it. I do want you, I'm just finding my feet with all of this. I do want you. I'll always want you, I promise."

I sat back and thought. Anna said that people didn't stick around for me. That much was true. No man had ever hung around for me. Maybe I wasn't worth it. Stephen would leave me eventually. I knew that. But couldn't I enjoy him? He was treating me well. Even if we didn't last I'd have memories and I knew with an inexplicable certainty that he'd never forget our baby. That he'd always keep in touch with our baby.

Shit. Stephen. I'd left without him. Almost two hours ago. He'd hate me for this. I pulled my phone out of my coat pocket expecting to see hate messages and fuck you messages from Stephen.

Instead I was met with twenty texts and thirty missed calls and a voice mail all evenly spaced out.

The most recent text was.....

"Baby, just letting you know I got home safe ☺️.... If you could call or even text me that would be great! No one has heard from you and I'm worried about you. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ xxx"

I scrolled through the others, just updating me on where he was and reiterating he was worried about me.

"Ciara, I heard what happened. Where are you xxx"

"Baby, answer your phone please. I'm worried xxx"

"Okay... Look what she said isn't true. I will never ever leave you.... I'd be mad to leave you. You and bubs are the best thing that ever happened to me. Baby, don't listen to her, please xxxx"

I rang my voicemail to listen to whatever message he had left for me.

"Hey babe. It's me. Look, I heard everything that happened. I know you've run off cause that's how you protect yourself but I really need you to let me know where you are and that you're safe. I know we've never said this before but, God, Ciara, I love you so damn much. Please come home to me. Call me when you get this. Bye."

I hit the return call button and waited for three long rings.

Stephen's voice sounded frantic as he answered the phone. "Oh thank goodness. You okay?"

"Stephen, I'm so sorry for taking off like that. How did you get home?"

"Fuck that. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"Where you at?"

"Port."

"Right come to mines it's closer."

"Be there in fifteen," I agreed.

"See you then. I'll be waiting."

We cut the call and I drove to his.

I pulled up a tear stained, mess of a woman. My hands shook as I reached up to knock the door. I didn't even need to knock. He was waiting on the other side for me. I almost fell through the door as he yanked it open.

He attacked me with kisses. "Never ever do that again."

"Do what?" I asked.

"Take off and not tell me where you're going."

His lips met mine and I kissed him hungrily. His fingers twined themselves in my hair. My arms wrapped themselves around his neck.

We broke apart long enough for me to say, "I'll try."