Chapter One

The moon sitting on the water was a clear blue, and it burned white hot on my wings. I was used to the heat, as my halo was made of stars. Angels who fly too close to the moon get burned up till they're nothing but dust. I loved to test those limits, until the day I didn't, the day I burned up.

See now I'm just a girl living in Montana, an angel, reincarnated. My mother used to tell me I looked like an angel... If only she knew. 20 years living as a fallen and I can still remember the blood and horror of The War. The sound of metal on metal makes my skin crawl. Watching my brothers and sisters die by my hand and blade... it's enough to create a hole in my heart, in my soul.

I set my pen down and pulled my phone out of my pocket when it vibrated, notifying me of the text coming in. The screen showed my brother's name, well, adoptive brother.

From Lex:
I SHIFTED!

To Lex:
Thats amazing! Im so proud of you!

I was incredibly proud of him, and happy that he shifted, but i was sad... i was the only girl in the alpha bloodline.. and i would never shift, seeing as there are only 4 known born she-wolves in history. My parents died in a rogue attack before they could have another pup after me, so i was the only heir, my mate would be an alpha, this pack's alpha... Odd to think about.

I went back to my notebook, clicking my pen against the desk, writers block hitting me full force. I decided to stop for the day, putting everything in the hidden drawr of the desk. Leaving my room felt like a death sentense with a newly shifted, unmated male in the home, not of my blood, i hoped that us growing up as siblings would be enough to deter his beast from trying to mate me.

I heard a door slam and Lex came rushing up the stairs to my room, his eyes wide and bright, tripping over his own feet. Here was my 18 year old brother, so innocent and sweet, still covered in dirt from his first shift. He came towards me swiftly, lifting me from my chair and spinning me, his eyes filled with unshed happiness.

He hugged my body to his hard, and then set me down, a flush on his face. He backed away from me and i looked at him, confused.

"You... smell different, Sera..." the way he said it, a growl present, it was an accusation.

"I don't know why I would, Lex, ive been up here all day. Only Beta came to-" a scream ripped itself from my throat and i felt my first bone snap, bringing me to my knees, as another and another broke, and moved. I was shifting, somehow... when i looked up at Lex he had absolute fear in his eyes as he called for his father, the Beta.

When the Beta fumbled into my room, his shirt missing, his eyes were wild for any danger that threatened his family. When he eyes landed on me he stood, shocked for a few moments before he snapped into a fatherly, leader role. He shifted into his wolf and got to his belly, showing me his neck as a sign of good faith that he was no threat to me. He started to inch towards me, slowly as Lex started speaking.

"Sera, i know you're scared but please listen. Dad is telling me what to say to you since he cant mindlink with you yet. He says you need to stop fighting, i know it hurts, but if you stop fighting and let your body change itll hurt less."

I nodded at him, and let myself go limp, whimpering as the pain tore through me, as fur sprouted and claws grew from my finger tips, and my face grew into a snout. I closed my eyes, and when i opened them, i was seeing everything through sharp wolf eyes. Lex took a step toward me, earning a growl. I stood, puffing my chest out. I was even bigger than the Beta.

"Welcome, Alpha." It was Beta's voice through the mind link. It wasnt just for me, it was for the whole pack to hear.

When i looked at him, he was shifting back to his skin side, and staring at me in awe. I cocked my head to the side, and he gestured to my closet doors, which were just hanging floor length mirrors. There stood a silver wolf, with black feet and one black ear. The most shocking thing was the deep red cresent moon on my forehead.

I looked back up at the Beta, my Beta and through the mind link, accompanied by a low growl of thanks, of adoration, i said one thing to him, to everyone.

"5 female wolves."