Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A headache was growing, he could feel it. Leave it to his mom to suggest she comes to live with them since she was being discharged within the week. Add fuel to the fire, he's also ordered to move back home. Which didn't sit well with him. She was making it sound like a family reunion, his elder sister was visiting because her husband had gone on a business trip and she didn't want to be alone handling her daughter. Doreen could be a handful; she was a typical version of him, just a female one. Not that he was against a reunion but he was only asked to come home because he'd made someone lose her memory. Although unintentionally.

"Danny?"

"Yes Mom" he looked up from the hospital tiled floor reflecting fluorescent lights to look at his mother. She had her hands on her waist meaning she was angry he had been day dreaming. They both stood at the same height but right now he felt he stood inches shorter before her.

"Mom I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of her living in our house. We could find a hotel for her even a motel" he suggested
Her eyes narrowed, "Really? And for how many months or years do you think you can pay for her to stay there?"

"Years? Why years?"

"That is if she doesn't remember everything after a couple of months. The doctor did say it could take weeks, months or years" she put emphasis on the years.

He ran a hand over his face, he hadn't thought of that, that put a dent in his plans. But he was still not giving up on his wishes.

"Okay so she can move in with you but I'm not moving in"

Mrs. Asamoah stared at him before nodding, "Okay, that's fine, have it your way then" she said slinging her bag on her shoulder and started walking out of the hospital. Daniel stood confused after his mother.

'Had she just agreed so easily to him not moving in?'

Something was wrong. Very wrong

"Mom" he ran to catch up with her. She stood by his Nissan pickup waiting for him. "Are you sure you don't want me to move in?"

She looked at him, "Why? Do you want to move in?"

"No not at all" he said quickly

"Good you better get your place prepared because she'll be moving in with you"

Daniel choked on nothing, "That can't be possible, I hardly stay home"

"Well make time from now on" she climbed into the car and slammed the door.

'I knew it' he thought as he climbed in and started the car.

"Mom you know I can't do that" he tried again.

She shrugged, "You could take her with you to the car shop and teach her how to change a car tyre or something"

"That's impossible mom" he let out a frustrated groan.

His mother was enjoying this way more than she should. "Of course it's impossible, she's got her hand and leg bandaged up. How would she move a car tyre or lift those metallic tools?"

"Okay fine mom, I'll move in" he gave up arguing. "But I'm moving out once she's able to find her way around without help"

"You make it sound as though she's an invalid. She only has an arm in a sling, last I remember doctors didn't qualify a slinged arm as cause of invalidity, at least I'd remember"

He turned to look at her "Sorry. Mom that's my condition so do you accept it?"

Mrs Asamoah smiled at her son as they drove out of the hospitals parking space, "I'm absolutely okay with that. That wasn't hard, was it?"