Chapter 27

"You know?" Lorelai asked. "So you were toying with us this whole time?"

Emily raised an eyebrow. "I was giving Rory a chance to tell me."

But Lorelai would not relent. "More like forcing her hand. What if she'd kept drinking?"

Emily gave a long-suffering sigh. "Oh, please. You think I wouldn't have stopped her?"

Rory stood up then, drawing everyone's attention. "I'm sorry, Grandma," she said, wringing the edges of her sleeves together. "I was just waiting for the right time."

"You should have told me."

"I know."

"How did you know, Mom?" Lorelai asked.

Emily picked up her mug and took a long, leisurely sip of her drink, keeping everyone in suspense. Finally, she set down her cup and said casually, "I have my sources."

"Was it one of the Huntzbergers?" Lorelai asked. "Did Logan call you?"

"So there I was at the yoga studio—"

"Wait, you do yoga?" Lorelai interjected.

"As I was saying, I was in the middle of a yoga glass—"

Lorelai pressed a hand to her forehead. "Can we press Pause for a second here? I'm just having a really hard time imagining you in yoga pants and performing the downward dog. The Emily Gilmore I know would never be caught dead saying Namaste."

"Well, Namas-freaking-te. I'm allowed to try new things, Lorelai," Emily burst out then took in a breath to calm herself. "Now can I speak?"

Lorelai motioned to her. "Go ahead."

"Like I was saying, I was in the middle of a yoga class when I received a call from none other than Shira Huntzberger, asking me what we needed to do to fix the situation. I said, What situation? and she proceeded to inform me—quite haughtily might I add—that her son and Rory were expecting a child together." Emily gave a pointed look to Rory. "Can you imagine my shock and distress to learn that my own granddaughter was not only pregnant, but that she'd failed to tell me?"

"I'm sorry," Rory said again. "I was waiting for the right time to tell you."

"As soon as possible was the right time to tell me. Preferably the moment you found out."

"How dare you not call her while you were still peeing on the stick?" Lorelai asked Rory.

"Oh Lorelai, don't make light of the situation. I'm upset with you and—" She pointed at Rory. "I'm upset with you."

Rory sighed, her eyes full of remorse. Emily had just decided to offer her forgiveness when Rory turned on a heel and left the room.

"Rory!" Emily called but she'd had already disappeared down the hall. "What has gotten into that girl?"

"I don't know, maybe the fact that you ambushed her with rum to get her to tell you a secret? And not just any secret, but a huge, life-changing secret," Lorelai said.

Emily looked over at Jess and Luke, who appeared uncomfortable in their seats as they looked at anything but her. "I bet they already know this huge, life-changing secret."

Jess opened his mouth to say something when Rory returned.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Grandma, but I thought this kind of news was best delivered in person. And I wanted to give you this after I told you," she said, handing over a little slip of paper. "It's a copy of the first ultrasound."