Chapter 35

Sky finds Xander in a room, sitting on the floor, chatting with a boy with blond hair and yellowish-green eyes. So that's Eric. Both boys notice her at the same time and Eric stands up, rubbing a hand through his hair sheepishly. He grins at her.

"Hi, you must be Skylar, Xan's mother. I'm Eric," he says, almost timid. He walks closer to her and extends a hand. She looks at him for a long moment before taking a step forward and hugging him.

The boy is startled for a second, but hugs her back quickly before she pulls away. He glances at her awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head again.

"Thank you," Sky says, "for everything you've done for Xander."

Eric nods. "It was really my pleasure," he says with a grin. "Though the little guy didn't need my help."

Xander rolls his eyes. "I'm not little," he protests.

Sky walks over to him and kneels next to him, patting his head. "Yes you are."

He glares at her as Eric laughs.

"I'm going to go see if I can get someone started on dinner," Eric says and leaves the room.

Sky brushes a hand through Xander's hair and he looks up at her warily.

"They told you, didn't they?"

She nods. "Why didn't you?"

He frowns. "Because I thought it would be better coming from Dad... he should at least explain the situation to you."

"There is nothing to explain, Xander. He's a grown man and gets to make his own decisions. He owes me no explanation." She shrugs.

Xander shakes his head. "I disagree."

"That is your right," Sky says.

He frowns at her again. "You really should learn to notice when you're upset."

"I'm not upset."

"Sure. And I'm actually a little girl," he replies dryly.

Sky sighs. Why is he reminding her so much of Feng?

"I'm secretly his son but you forgot to tell everyone?" Xander answers her thought. She glares at him. Oh that's new, someone actually reading her thoughts.

How much has he seen?

She blinks at Xander. No. Please no. He's only a child... he should not have had to see all of her memories.

"Relax," Xan says, nudging her with his shoulder. "I can only hear the thoughts in the forefront of your mind."

She doesn't believe him. He just grins at her, acting cheerful and as if nothing is amiss.

She sighs, and pretends to believe him. She can think about the repercussions of Xan's abilities later.

"How did I get here?" She asks him.

"I'm sworn to secrecy," he tells her wryly.

"Feng brought me?" She arches a brow.

"Yip."

"How?"

"He appeared in a wreath of purple flames, cradling you to his chest..." he says with a shrug. "I think he likes you."

She tilts her head at Xander. None of his words feel false. But how is that possible? Feng's abilities aren't supposed to work with the shackles on. And how does he control fire? She thought he was a siren of some sort... and apparently a dragon too, if Thorn is to be believed.