Chapter 21

Winnie

"So basically we're going to have to take the car?" Josh jumped excitedly. Carrie, Scarlett and I were packing the things we were going to need on this scavenger hunt and Josh was eager to drive again.

It was a promise we made to him since technically he had a permit and 'never got to use it'. So he drives. It's not like there are other people on the road anyways, and it he hits a Grayie, well then no harm done.

"Yes we have to take the car." I rolled my eyes and punched him lightly in the shoulder. He let out an unmanly squeal and instantly ran to the garage, wanting to pick which beauty to take out.

As Carrie took out the last of the equipment to the garage, Niall came bounding over to me.

"So you're leaving?" His voice was nervous and he looked worried.

"Yup." My mouth made a popping noise and I turned on my heel, ready to walk away.

"Oh but- hey! I was speaking with you." Niall stopped in front of me, not letting me pass.

"Well I wasn't." My voice was cheery and I pushed him aside. I was still angry at him. He distracts me, and I can't afford to be distracted. Mostly I was mad at myself and taking it out on him, but I didn't really care.

"I'm going with you." 

I turned at that.

"You most certainly are not." I pressed a finger to his chest, my voice was low. He raised his hands up in surrender but didn't wipe off that stupid smirk on his face.

"Am too."

"Are not!"

"Am too."

"Are not!"

"Children please! Do you mind, we have things to do." Scarlett snapped, looking annoyed at our bickering.

"In a mo." I nod, and then turn back to Niall. I lean my face close to his, so our noses are almost touching and I notice that he's stopped breathing, his eyes wide.

"You take one step to follow me and I will shoot you in both your legs." My voice is breathy and hushed, and although he doesn't have space to nod I knew he understood.

I back away and give him a tight smile, while turning my back and heading to the garage.

I tried to ignore the pounding of my heart as I walked away.

Stupid boys.

***

We were about thirty miles out at an old Wal-Mart. After Carrie scoped out the place and killed three Grayies, we were walking down the aisles searching for anything useful.

Most of it was already ransacked but I picked up a few good jars of canned corn and a lone box of cereal. Frosted Flakes. Grrrreat.

I was looking for soap when I heard a thud behind me. 

Without a seconds hesitation I whip around, my gun loaded and aimed.

"Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" The voice yelped.

Oh my fucking god.

"Niall!" I hissed at the panicked blue eyed boy. I put the gun back in the holster and walked up to the idiot, giving him a good punch to the gut.

He let out a strangled noise, bending over in pain.

"What the fuck did I tell you about following me?" I barked, very pissed. Niall wheezed, holding up a finger to signal me to wait.