Prologue

Author's Note:

Okay, guys. This is my new story, now that BWBB is slowly coming to a close. Hope you enjoy this one, leave a comment to tell me what you think! :)

xoxo,
Q.

Devon Pine is one of the biggest stars of his generation. A first rate heartthrob, he's sold millions of records, and has girls chasing him from all parts of the world.

Then again, so does Kyle Carter.

They're competition; the biggest kind imaginable. You're either a Piner or a Kylian, there's no in between. Despite both battling in the same industry and the same genre, the two boys are very distinguishable and equally lovable.

Devon Pine had his big break when he was sixteen.

He'd been working for a year already, performing small gigs with his guitar and his black hoodie with the sleeves rolled up, when he was discovered by current manager, pop mastermind James Powell.

Now, three years later, he's a household name. Everyone knows Devon Pine. Though the nineteen-year-old superstar lives on his own in sunny Los Angeles, he is still close with his family, who still reside in his hometown of Willhum, Kentucky.

So what is it that makes Devon so appealing to his very important fan-base?

A southern boy, with only the slightest remains of an accent after living in California for two years, Devon had a modest upbringing with a traditional, loving family. He's your typical boy-next-door.

With brown hair and mischievous green eyes, Devon is one of those boys you can't help but fall in love with a little when you look at him. It's part of his charm, naturally.

Then there's his voice.

James Powell clearly heard something special, seeing as he signed Devon in a single swoop, with hardly any questions asked. A clear tone coated with soft chocolaty layers, Devon's voice is a genetic gift he should thank his parents for endlessly.

Devon is an artist; he writes all his music alone. Though it's produced and manufactured to the extreme, as all pop music is today, he takes pride in that it's all his work and it all comes from his heart.

Kyle Carter, too, writes all his music himself.

At twenty-one, two years older than the still-teenaged Devon Pine, Kyle has been legally emancipated and working since fifteen, when he hit fame.

Kyle has a completely different attraction than Devon.

Unlike the smiling, southern open-book that is Devon Pine, Kyle is shrouded in mystery. He never speaks about his family, or why he got himself emancipated.

Undoubtedly the bad boy, Kyle is known for his teasing smirk and piercing gray eyes. He's a flirt, and he always gets what he wants.

The most successful person to ever emerge from indie label, Blue Banana Records, Kyle has made a name for himself in the pop industry over the last six years by rejecting the cookie-cutter style of music.

Sure, he's pop. But he bends the genre boundaries. He breaks the rules. His debut album, dubbed Wish I Was Dead, released before the bad boy had even hit sixteen, spawned three number one hit singles, making him the youngest artist to ever achieve such a feat.

Devon and Kyle are incredibly similar.

They also could not be more different.

They're competitors.

They're sworn enemies.

But is it possible that that could all change?