Chapter Six

Author's Note:

I can't even begin to apologize for the wait I've put you guys through! These last few months have been absolute hell. I am going to be trying to write much more though. I've put One Of The Boys on hold for a while, but I will be working on Tone Deaf. Here's the latest installment! Enjoy!

xoxo,
Q.

Devon:

Seven more songs. This has got to be some kind of record.

I can’t remember ever pumping out songs this fast, not even when I was in high school and my emotions were multiplying almost as fast as my hormones.

Kyle and I have a new thing of nodding shortly at each other if we pass in the hall. No words exchanged unless it’s just a quick acknowledgment of each other’s name. It’s not much, but compared to how I saw him before, it’s not that bad.

I don’t know.

It’s harder to hate him now that I see that he’s…human, I guess.

I suppose I never thought about it like that.

It kind of sucks, actually. I’m much rather be immature about it and hate him regardless, but I just can’t anymore.

Don’t get me wrong; I still can’t stand the guy.

But I also have to acknowledge that he just wants the same thing I do—success.

Ugh, all this thinking about Kyle is exhausting.

Wait, that came out wrong.

Since the last few songs came out so easily, Mike told me to take a break and go out and “live” or whatever, so that the music doesn’t start to sound repetitive and such. So I’ve been hanging out with Hazel a lot, and that means there’s lots of new rumors circling around that we’re dating or whatever, which is, of course, beyond ridiculous.

I’m even laughing a little to myself when I’m watching the trashy TV channel I’m somehow always featured on.

“Neither Hazel nor Devon has confirmed nor denied their relationship, so I guess we’re all stuck wondering!” the designated fake blond woman they’ve hired as their reporter says with an obnoxiously fake laugh. “So what do you guys think of this unlikely pairing? Do you think they’re cute or is Hazel a bad influence on the southern sweetheart?”

I let out a low snort.

If anything, I’m the bad influence.

I mean, I get that Hazel’s image is supposed to go along with her music, but I think it’d be kind of cool to have a dance-pop star who isn’t a huge party girl. It’d be a refreshing change.

Not that J-Pow would ever go for it, though. J-Pow is all about the numbers. Number of sales. Number on the charts. Statistics. Math. After a few years in the business, I know that it’s a lot more than just playing songs. A lot goes into this industry in order to be successful, but it still totally bums me out to think about all the logistics. It ruins the beauty, the magic, as cliché as that might sound.

I turn off the TV. There’s only so much of that channel you can watch before you start losing brain cells.

I probably should go home.

I mean, all I’m doing is sitting on the couch in the lounge at Razor. I could do that at home. The problem I have with my house is that it’s so empty. I love being alone, don’t get me wrong, but it gets a little lonely sometimes.