Avery

I remember reading Amy Tan's Rule of the Game when I was younger. It was my favorite chapter from her book The Joy Luck Club. I envied how Waverly Jong learned undisputable truths about the art of invisible strength from her mother, Lindo Jong. I remember after reading that chapter that I had wished that my mother would teach me in the very same way but it was short-lived when it dawned on me that I wasn't a child genius.

I didn't have dreams about 64 black and white squares when I was younger. I didn't learn about "opening moves and why it is important to control the center early on," "the middle game," and "why it is essential in the endgame to have foresight." Traits that made Waverly Jong's deep-rooted affection and fascination with the game of chess much more compelling.

I was lost in this memory when I heard my brother come in from the back door. "Hey kiddo" Art leaned towards the counter, opposite from where I sat, and rested his chin on his palm and started picking off bits of longganisa from my plate.

"Hey, hey, get your grimy hands off my food. Make your own breakfast ... or go have some cereals." I protested while trying to swat off his sweaty fingers with my fork.

It took us quite a while before he stopped trying to swipe off my morning meal and settled with the box of cereals and some milk instead.

"How was your run?" I asked, now relieved and slightly proud that I had chased him off my case. It wasn't every day I got to enjoy small victories like this with my brother.

Art was a sloppy mess of sweat, dust, and pollen. Him going on morning runs is the best time to see him at a laughable state like this. I kind of enjoyed seeming him like this.

"This place is beautiful Avery; you should see the amount of green on this side of the country." He said while fixing himself a bowl of cornflakes. He pours his milk first before putting in the cereal and in my 17 years of living I'm still not used to it.

"Yeah? I guess I would never know, now, would I?" I replied.

"D'uh, why do I even bother, you're a dweeb."

"I'm not a dweeb, you just care too much about your image. I swear your crazy obsession about looking like one of those underwear models is going to drive me nuts"

We laughed as we continued with our meal. Fixing breakfast on our own wasn't out of place, it wasn't unusual. That's just how things are done in our house. So naturally, we also cleaned up for ourselves. I brought my finished plate of rice, eggs, and longganisa to the sink and started washing it quickly. Rice becomes nasty when left on a plate uncleaned for too long.

"Do you know where mom went?" Art asked me. I hadn't really seen mom and dad this morning and had safely concluded that they were off to work.

"No- uh." I turned to look at him "I'm not really sure, she must have left with dad when you were out, they were gone when I got up"

Art was now running away from me with an ear to ear grin from his face. He had slid his bowl with my dishes and had left it for me to clean. Sneaky, sneaky bastard. I didn't really mind cleaning up for him because I enjoyed getting wet and this was the only house chore I could think of that involved water and doesn't require too much effort.

"Oh, Avery!" Art shouted from the living room "I saw Chris earlier on my jog and he asked for your number"

"He what now?!" I shouted back

"He asked for your number pipsqueak!"

What? Why? I flinched when I remembered Chris' 'good night" yesterday. "And you're telling me this because?" I said calmly. I didn't want Art to know it bothered me.

"Because who knows what you might say to him when he texts you and he forgets to tell you who he is, knucklehead. WE all know how that turned out when I gave your number to that sophomore last year." His voice was echoing from the hallways. I remember that. That was awful.

He was now back in the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge for a drink. "You told her to fuck off when she didn't tell you her name within what? Two messages? Poor girl, she had a crush on you." He said as he pursed his lips and tried to make a sad face. I knew my brother too well to understand that he didn't really care about the girl's feelings, what he had in mind was putting me in an awkward situation so he can milk it as ammunition for our daily banters.

"AH, so you did give him my number" I groaned. "Why would he even need my number, geez." I was obviously defeated and given him the satisfaction of knowing that it had bothered me.

"Can't you just be grateful that I'm setting you up with new friends? Heck, even I know you need at least one." He said matter-of-factly.

"And besides, I'm going back to college in a few weeks, and you know how busy mamsi and dadi is so he can be your buddy or something, you know, like an emergency contact or lifeline?"

"Yeah right, nice save Einstein." I rolled my eyes and hoped my sarcasm didn't go over his head. "And I do have friends Art, you just haven't met them."

"How would I? You never bring people home. It's like you're ashamed of us or something" There was a slight suggestive curve in the tone of his voice.

"I'm not. They just don't like you, people talk you know" I said with a smile

"Yeah? Well I don't like them either, dipshit"

Goal! Avery takes another point and the crowd goes wild. I laughed at Art's short temper as he left. He's tough, but you can beat him if you know when and where to poke. 'The art of invisible strength' I metaphorically patted myself on the back.

I may not have the brains for competitive conspiracy but I think I may still have undiscovered potential. It's funny though, how you think you did pretty good for yourself and the universe decides to remind you you're not.

1 new message.

Drinks at the Bautistas, Art told me ur free so u can't say no. He told me he couldn't come so it's just u and me tho.

Fuck. The crowd did not see that! I DID NOT SEE THAT. Art knocks Avery down with a sucker punch. I could suddenly hear this annoying ringing in my head. I imagine young Waverly Jong whispering 'listen to the wind Avery, what's your next move?"

Oh, I'll pick u up at 9.

I swear to God if Art told Chris that I'm gay and this is some kind of prank I'll skin him alive. I guess if this is then I'll just make the most out of it. I'll show them not to mess with me.

👌🏼, c u then.

Authors Note:

I like the pace I'm going with right now. I can hear  Avery's thoughts and Chris' life through my pillow. I hope you can find the pace agreeable for now. I promise it will get faster once I knock things out of the way.

I added the Prologue along with this chapter.