iii. Meng

When I come to, the first thing I see is Luis's serious face peering down at me with concern. I'm lying on the kitchen floor; the coolness of the tile chills my back and makes me shiver. A few of my other coworkers are standing behind Luis, all of them staring anxiously at me. But there's no sign of Ricardo—if he really is who he says he is—anywhere.

Oh, my God. Ricardo. I squeeze my eyes shut again and will myself not to scream. Did that really happen? Did the spirit of Jay Faulkerson's dead grandfather really appear to me asking for help getting his grandson back on track?

Impossible. And ridiculous. It was probably just my wild imagination and anxiety over having to train Jay next week working together to play tricks on me. Yes, that's the only sensible explanation, I tell myself, and immediately start to feel better.

I bring a hand up to my forehead and struggle to sit up as Luis rushes forward to help.

"Anong nangyari sayo??" He asks, his voice full of worry. "Are you okay??"

Aw, I'm touched. Luis is worried about me. You know, I think he's even more handsome when he's all intense like this, sort of like a very grave-looking Tom Rodriguez with that penetrating gaze—

"Meng?" He repeats, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Sorry, sorry," I apologize, shaking my head. "Yes, I'm okay, I just..."

I just what? Should I tell him that I went into a fainting spell like a helpless damsel in distress because the late founder of our company suddenly appeared to me as a well-dressed ghost? Right. That won't make me sound crazy at all (hashtag sarcasm.)

"I just slipped and fell, because of these darn slippery tiles."

Luis gives me a funny look. The thing is, the floor tiles here in the kitchen have matte surfaces—not very slippery at all.

"I mean, because of my shoes," I quickly correct myself. Of course, my shoes have non-slip soles, as is clearly marked on the tiny Safe Step labels, which Luis is now staring at.

"I mean, it's my own fault," I finally say with a resigned sigh. "I was daydreaming, not watching where I was going, and I tripped on my own two feet and...passed out because...I panicked."

Great. Now I sound like a clumsy, incompetent ditz, which I am not. Hello, four-time Employee of the Month, remember? Luis gives me a skeptical glance.

"Are you sure you're alright? Do you want to go to the hospital? I could take you—Valeen can take charge until Tristan gets in—"

"NO," I say, a little louder than I mean to. Valeen, another server who is standing right behind Luis, raises one of her perfectly groomed eyebrows. Beautiful, hardworking and well-liked, Valeen is my biggest rival for a promotion. I can't have Luis thinking she's more capable than I am.

"I mean, please, I don't want to inconvenience anyone," I hasten to explain, softening my voice. "I'm fine, I promise. I'm not hurt at all, I just had a good scare."

"What a drama queen," I hear Valeen whisper to Jerald, making him snicker lightly.

Luis chews thoughtfully on his lower lip for a minute before deciding, "Okay, if you're sure. Maybe you should bus the al fresco area muna before going back behind the bar—so you can get some fresh air."

"Okay," I meekly agree, getting to my feet, brushing off my uniform and doing my best to regain my tattered dignity.

What really happened back there? I ask myself as I wipe the tables down outside. Why did I scare myself with such a random imagining? I must be more nervous about training Jay Faulkerson than I'd previously thought. I mean, it is a pretty big deal—Jay is next in line to inherit the company if anything happens to his father, and after Richard Sr.'s heart attack a couple of months ago...well, I can see why everyone's so anxious for the youngest Faulkerson to clean up his act as soon as possible.