First Sight

Life was just about to begin. I imagined all sorts of exciting situations, meeting new people - platonic friends preferably. I had had my unfair share of heartbreaks in high school. Though university was bound to prove itself a sea of love prospects, I was just not ready for another emotional attachment. Clayton was long in the past, and so were the two or so insignificant others before him. Let's get this academic and social show running!

So I decided to sign up for the chorale. Extra-curricular activities were a boost for our resumes, they said. Anita said she would go with. me.

Cue phone ring....

"Anita, Banita!" I was just thinking about how you promised to sign up for the chorale with me. Are we still on?

"Yea, Elora. Just let me try to fix this afro, girl. And please, cut the want-no-guy crap. Brush that shiny, wavy, black God-given mane of yours down your back, slap some make-up on , and let's see about meeting some prospects."

"Uhm, I'm sticking to my game plan. Girl, I'm not yet healed. My head is soooo not there. Really, I wanna boost my singing, and my resume. In just about four years, we'll be out of Braeton University and onto the world of work. That's my focus, and I'm sticking to it!"

"Psssshhhh! Fine, meet me at the main park in fifteen minutes. Ciao, bella"

"Later, Anita."

Anita and I had been friends since forever. Well, actually the fourth grade at Wensington Preparatory. Her family had just moved to Long Avenue beside mine, and both our moms worked at Wortley Pharmacy. Her dad had died two years earlier, and I believe that caused her to look for love in all the wrong places, from all the wrong guys. I had been there for her through the breakups and the makeups, and had learned some lessons from her experiences myself. She was gorgeous with the cutest dimples and pointed light brown eyes, framed by thick black lashes. Her hairstyle for this season was a trendy, fluffy afro with slick edges. She was always styled to perfection in curve-hugging apparel. I always wondered how I got any attention walking beside her.

We stepped into the building a few minutes after the audition started, as Anita insisted we be fashionably late. I hissed at her the entire journey. The room was frighteningly huge with hundreds of hopefuls, which instantly reminded me of my insecurities.

"Uhm, Anita? Do you think we should still go through with this? I mean, they only need like fifty persons. There could easily be four hundred persons here."

I instinctively started to pull on my ponytail. We sat right at the top of the inclined seating area, right at the edge. I guess fleeing would be easier should it become necessary.

"Elora, you know, and so did our entire high school population, that you have nothing to worry about. Just go up there, and show-off!"

"Yeah, easy for you to say, you're a natural show-off!"

She playfully hit my side. An instant howl escaped my lips. A wavy head, spun around from the judges seat to glare at us. I remained immobile as thick black brows raised over what, from this distance, seemed to be hazel, or grayish eyes, dunno.

A blush spread across my tan-coloured skin as I was catapulted back into reality by a chuckle from Anita. Hazel-grayish wonder raised one eyebrow in disgust, while my friend put her hands up in a surrender gesture. Meanwhile, I trained my eyes on my hands in my lap, feeling overwhelmingly self-conscious.

"Jeez, what crawled up his butt?" came from the minion beside me.

After hundreds of impressive auditions, Anita's time came. Her confidence alone was enough to wow the audience. The belting of her strong alto was sure to get her a callback.

Entrant #435, Elora Phillips!" Cue shaky hands and sweating palms.

"Go girl! "Get it done!"

Anita practically pried me out of my seat. I noticed that Hazel-grayish turned around in anticipation, or lack of patience, I prefer to think - anticipation. I nodded as I passed the judges. Hey Hazel-grayish is really about my age. Anyway, on to the stage. Let's get this over and done with.

I fidgeted through the 60 seconds wait for my sound track to come on, nervously scanning the audience of excited teenagers and tired, but hot-looking judges, well, at least one, until my eyes rested on my best friend, waving like an idiot from the back. I immediately settled into my comfortable space, like always, as the sounds of my old-time favourite - Wishing on a Star by Rose Royce came on. My eyes closed on their own, and I entered my imaginary place, emoting like never before, as memories of past loves floated before me like a movie.

The song drew to a close and a deafening silence pulled me out of my euphoria. I opened my eyes to see a pair of hands starting an overhead clap - Anita - my all-time cheerleader. I scanned the faces of the judges for any reaction - well-trained there were. Plus, there were some many good acts, I may not have stood out. But I think I noticed a twinkle in a certain pair of hazel-grays as the words stuttered out of his mouth - "436...".