Chapter 1

DISCLAIMER:  Any songs that you may recognize throughout the book I do not claim ownership over.  While a few of my own songs – though they are not the best written – will be in this book, not every single one will be, thus some will be from various artists.

                    CHAPTER  1

The saccharine summer breeze swirled around the desolate park, scented with blooming flowers and bitter tears.

Tears that exuded anguish and sorrow; unfathomable amounts of both emotions mingled within the salty liquid. 

Those exact tears trailed down Sam’s rosy cheeks as she fought to gain composure, though she failed miserably upon every attempt.  Here she sat, hidden in the depths of a rose thicket, harsh sobs racking her frail form, her hand clamped firmly against her mouth.  Unnecessarily, of course.  They did nothing to muffle her wails.

A blossom petal suddenly fluttered down onto her palm and the brunette’s heart clenched. 

This was her favourite flower. 

One of many, but it beat out all others, for the sole reason that it meant summer was coming to an end.  It was like a reminder of what had passed and what was to come.  Impulsively, Sam ripped the blossom in half, discarding the torn petals to the side.  The last thing she needed was a reminder of what she had lost, what was gone all because of her. 

The thought brought a choked sob into the air.  Waves of thick, rich mocha hair brushed over her face, veiling her soft features that were contorted in agony. 

“Is something wrong?”

Sam started at the soothing, velvety voice as it sounded next to her.  Her shoulders stiffened and her head snapped up to look at the speaker. 

It was a boy, no older than seventeen, that stood before her.  The face was unfamiliar.  His expression was one of kindness and concern.  Tousled sandy hair sat atop his head, offset by a pair of cerulean eyes that captured her attention.  Immediately she scooted away from the teenager.

“Do I know you?”  she asked, her voice raspy and hoarse. 

The mysterious boy shook his head gently.  He went to place a comforting hand on her arm but hesitated, pulling away at the last minute.  “No, I don’t think so.  I was actually just going for a walk, but I heard you crying.”

“Oh,”  Sam murmured quietly.

“Yeah.  I was curious so I followed the sound, and here I am.”  He attempted a weak smile.  “So I ask you again, is something wrong?”

“Is that any of your business?”

The boy, looking hurt, merely frowned.  “No, I guess not,”  he replied slowly.

Sam felt a sudden stab of guilt at being so rude to the boy.  He was being kind to her, a complete stranger, and she offered nothing but a crude reply and a sour attitude. 

Running a shaky hand through her disheveled hair, Sam rested her tired honey eyes on the boy, exhaling deeply and leaning against the tree behind her for much needed support.  “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have been so rude,”  she told him, cringing as her voice cracked.  “Yes, there is something wrong but I would rather not talk about it.”

The blond had a genuine smiled stretched on his face.  It was soft and accepting.  “It’s alright, I understand that it’s probably a sensitive topic for you.”

“Thank you,”  she stammered, oddly thankful that he had not pressed her on the subject. 

As she spoke Sam coughed, attempting to rid herself of the raw feeling in her throat.  Truthfully, she was surprised the boy had dared approach her in the first place.  Her makeup was running down her cheeks in thin lines and her eyes were a vibrant red, puffy from the endless hours of crying her heart out.  Her current appearance was atrocious; worth a scolding from her father if he ever saw her in such a state.