Cara

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Heyya loyal readers! I know it has been soooooooo long and I'd like to thank you for waiting patiently for this part! And I want to thank you all for 1k reads!! I appreciate it sooo much and to tell you the truth? That's what made me find the time to write this part. I hope you enjoy it and again thank you all for being faithful readers. Now let's back to the story...

"Wait, you can do that?!" Akeela exclaimed.

"In truth, no," Kayla responded. "Cara's a bit of an anomaly; she's the only Mord-Sith to ever break her bonds to the Lord Rahl."

Akeela remembered the blonde, blue-eyed woman she'd seen in the dungeon, fettered to the ceiling and covered in bruises from head to toe. Kayla never referred to her as mistress; Cara had lost that title when she joined forces with the Seeker.

"How did she do it?" Akeela heard herself ask. "How did she break the bond?"

"No one knows for sure," Kayla replied. "But there's this rumour going around the temples that it happened when Lord Rahl died."

Kayla had told her this story before; about how Cara had betrayed her Sisters and aided the Seeker to capture the Power of Orden. Lord Rahl had destroyed the boxes then, but it had cost him his life.

"Some of the Mord-Sith say that when Cara and her Sisters first found the Seeker and the Confessor kneeling over the boxes of Orden, Cara had struck the Seeker with her Agiel in an attempt to stop him," Kayla continued. "But here's where it gets absurd; they said that when the Power of Orden, the Confessor's touch and the Mord-Sith's Agiel were united, it sent Cara and the Seeker ninety years into the future."

Akeela wanted to admit that it did sound absurd but she thought of her own pendant's weird abilities and said nothing.

"See, in that future," Kayla said. "The Lord Rahl we all know and love was dead and so Cara's bond to him was broken. It's said Lord Rahl somehow convinced the Confessor to marry him and they gave birth to a male confessor, a Master Rahl, who eliminated his parents as well as all the Mord-Sith in all the lands. When Cara learnt of this, she was torn; she could not accept for a Master the man who had killed her former Master and all her Sisters of the Agiel, and so she entered a temporary truce with the Seeker to take out this Master Rahl.

"It was in that moment that she became bonded to the Seeker, because though she did not know it at the time, the Seeker was a Rahl. When they united the three powers again and brought themselves to the present, Cara who was now bonded to the Seeker had no problem betraying her Sisters."

"So now Cara is loyal to the Seeker?" Akeela asked. "The false Lord Rahl?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"But if Lord Rahl died, why didn't the rest of you bond to the Seeker when you found out who he really was," Akeela asked.

"Well that's because we were still bonded to Lord Rahl's shade," Kayla explained. "When Lord Rahl destroyed the boxes, it tore open the veil to the Underworld so Lord Rahl could come to the World of the Living whenever he chose. Now that he's back, probably for good, we are bonded to him again."

"Okay, one more question," Akeela declared. "Do you believe this? This story about Cara travelling to the future?

"Yes, actually," Kayla replied. "Mistresses Dahlia, Raina, Berdine, Hally and Cara have always been inseparable. They were the ones who were with Cara when Lord Rahl died. They were the Mord-Sith she'd betrayed. It was Cara herself that told them this story before Mistress Trianna- under Lord Rahl's explicit orders- betrayed Cara. At the time they too did not know the Seeker was a Rahl, so they could not have known that Cara was bonded to him. If they had known, I'm pretty sure they would have sworn their allegiance to the Seeker –well, all of them except Mistress Dahlia I think; she's a really shady character that one."