Chapter 10

In the morning I woke up and groggily walked downstairs to find mom already up and breakfast made. She told me Otto left for his meeting before she served me some French toast. Dad came downstairs holding his paper. Breakfast that morning was quite silent. I was quiet because I was worried shitless about Otto. He would have to face Alex, Brad, their parents, and his own father all by himself. I called his cell phone after breakfast and I got a voice mail. Mom said that he would be home within an hour, and to relax.

*                                                    *                                                          *

            Sitting in the teacher conference room was painful. Brad and his parents sat near the end of the table while Alex and her parents were at the other end, with me and father stuck in the middle. The wall was stone with brown wooden double doors. The table was also made out of wood. Across from the doors were windows that revealed a field. The principal and two teachers came in and sat across from me and my father.

"So we have called this meeting due to intense bullying." The principal started.

"I will start by playing this recording that Otto so bravely gave us faculty." The principal said hitting the play button.

"Now that everything is out in the open we need to talk punishments." The principal said.

"Wait, are you telling me this boy hit my daughter?" Alex's father said pointing to Brad.

"Yes." The principal responded.

"Alex when did this happen? Why didn’t you tell us?" her mother asked with concern.

"You heard the recording; I didn’t want Otto to get hurt." Alex said not looking up.

"Brad, we raised you better than this! Apologize right now to both of them!" his mother scolded.

"I am sorry for threatening both of you and hitting you Alex." Brad said looking ashamed.

"Now, we do not tolerate violence, and it has been brought to my attention that Brad has beaten Otto up on a number of occasions. Brad will be suspended for two weeks and have to write a paper on teen violence. Also Alex told Brad to stay away from her and Otto in front of a guidance counselor, is this true Alex?"

"Yes, I don't want him near me or Otto." Alex said holding her head high.

"That settles it then, unless anyone has any other concerns." The principal said looking around the table.

"Alright, then you are all dismissed."

            I got up and walked out of the room so fast you would have never known I was there. I didn’t want to see Alex, and I didn’t want to be around my father. I could hear my father walking not too far behind me, and I heard Alex call my name, but I didn’t slow down.

"Don't be rude Otto." My father hissed, making me slow down.

"Hey." Alex said with a half smile.

"Hi."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine. You?"

"I'm good. I'm glad that this whole Brad thing is behind us now."

"Yeah, same," I said finally looking at her, "Anyways I have to go to a friend's house; I will see you Monday though." I said walking a bit faster.

"Okay, see you Monday." She said waving.

"Where do you think you're going?" my father's voice echoed through the hall.

"To a friend's house." I said.