Chapter 7 - Unusual Guests

"You look very nice Amber," my grandmother says as Sean and I walk out back.

"Thanks," I mumble and Sean nudges me in the side. "Thanks," I say more enthusiastically. I smile at her and Sean's arm locked with mine leads me to where my mother is sitting on the outdoor furniture talking with some of the neighbors.

"Hey Amber! Come greet our guests! You remember Mr. and Mrs. Ryans?"

"Hi," I nod my head toward the middle aged couple sitting on the wicker outdoor lover seat.

"Hi Amber! You look pretty today!" Mrs. Ryans remarks.

"Thank you, so do you," I reply with a smile on my face.

"Do you need anything, mother?" I ask politely. I really don't want to stay out here and be fake with all of our neighbors which we barely even talk to. I don't even know why we had them over, we've lived here for a couple of years now and we only talked to all of them maybe a few times.

"You and Sean can go inside and relax, I'll call you to help me bring out the dinner later on," my mom replies. Her response is an odd one. Probably fake because of the neighbors. I would never have heard that come out of her mouth in a million years if they weren't here.

Me and Sean go back into my room and lock the door. I lay on the bed next to him and he pulls my body closer to his. "Sean?"

"Yes?" He answers.

"Did you hear that voice that knocked on my door outside?"

"I don't think so, maybe we didn't talk to them. There were a couple of neighbors by the pool," he responds. I shrug it off and turn around to face him. We're now both laying on our sides facing each other. Sean has his arm wrapped around me and I nuzzle my face in his chest.

___________________________

A loud bang wakes me and Sean up. "Amber! Sean! Help mom with dinner!" Jake yells.

I get up out of bed and go to the bathroom. I brush my hair and put it up in a messy bun. When I walk back into the room Sean is still laying on the bed. "Come on," I say as I run my hand down his arm.

We walk out of my dark room and into the living room, which now has all the lights on. "Mom should I turn off all these lights?!?" I yell into the kitchen. It's still light out, since the sun doesn't go down for another hour, so why are all these lights on?

"Yes!" She yells back. I turn them off and shrug it off to go help her, Jake, and Sean waiting for me in the kitchen.