Heavens Above

Paarthurnax X (fem) DB

Here I sit, listening to this blonde crone prattle on about dragons, and the dangers therein; like I'm not the dragon born at all, like I'm some peasant who has not near and inkling nor idea of what dragons can do.

Her mouth is moving, but all I can seem to hear is a high pitched ringing.

"I have to stop you there, Delphine. Your point of this useless conversation is..?" Batting weighted eyes, I bite back the majority of my sarcastic venom.

"If you want to work with the blades, you have to be the enemy of our enemy, which is dragons. Which is paarthurnax." Crossing her arms over her chest, a strange complacent expression panting her features. An expression that irked me, beyond any level I had previously experienced.

"And...?" I huff, beating around the bush has never been a strong suit of mine.

"So you have to kill paarthurnax if you want us to work together."

As soon as the words left her mouth, I felt as of a switch flipped in my mind; hysterical laughter erupting from high in my throat fills the empty hall with echoes. Her countenance changes as widened eyes watch my armoured hands reach for my deadric long blade. Fear takes place over her, as my laughing continues, "How silly...silly girl!" I manage out, a my blood boils into a numb rage, pulling my sword violently from it's scabbard.

Approaching her seems to slow down time, as she scrambles backwards effectively tripping over her own feet. I raise the hungry sword above my head with a blood chilling grin, "You should've never asked me to do that, your path is now chosen-" I break off into hysteria again, as I bring the blade down swiftly into the apex of her wretched skull. A dull crack is the end of her- I'm painted in a spray of crimson, the smell of copper fills my nose and touches my pallet.

Silence fills the sanctuary, occasionally interrupted by the soft drip of blood running off the jagged edges of my form. I turn, placing my weapon back in its place; only to find another set of widened eyes. Esbern.

"Listen old man. I know you overhead. Never, and I mean ever, ask me to do what she just asked. And if you value your life, your order, I would not pursue this course of action." Catching my breath, I begin to walk up the stairs, towards the exit. There was nothing here for me any longer- I should've realized this sooner.

~~

As weeks pass, i have been traveling towards the throat of the world; plagued by a useless conscious- one that feeds me sickly dreams like sweet poisoned honey. Oh how bittersweet was the ending of Delphine.

These thoughts quickly vaporized as I stepped out of the dusty monastery, to gaze at the path winding up the mountainside. Breathing in the crisp air, I'm hit with a pang of recollection- the musky copper of blood filling the air.

Shaking my head, I steady myself, preparing to take on the journey to see an old friend, someone who was worth wielding the unsavory sects of my soul. Who was worth protecting at all costs.

My feet were heavy, but head held high I trudged forward, standing in the great stone gate shouting in dovahzul for the winds to be still.

Being the person I am, the journey was passed mindlessly, bumbling almost. But the lack of thought was one of the few ways I could cope with some of the feelings that were welling up. Though, my feet took me to a destination, I had no real obvious objective; if allowed to dwell on it, it would bother me. 

Reaching the top of the mountain, the sun had began to sink closer to the horizon, yet it was not quite sunset.

Paarthurnax sat atop his word wall, as usual. His scales made golden by the light, such an elegant and misunderstood creature. As I neared him, his low voice rang out with a familiar greeting, " Drem Yol lok, what brings you?" Smile gracing his draconic features.

A groan escapes me, slumping my pack off into the snow, "it's a special story, I might tell you after I eat." I found myself thankful for the dried firewood I'd been lugging around, starting a fire with a dragon nearby is usually a piece of cake anyway.

Organizing the logs into a pyramid like structure, I notion to the fire, standing back.

As I watched the flames leap forth from his throat, I thought of the way our relationship has always been an unspoken. The flames lick at the surface of the dried wood, and heat blooms against me, before becoming considerably lessened.

Cooking was quick, much to my detriment, yet, a thought occurred to me, how rude to eat in someone's house without first offering something to them. So as the sun kissed the edge of world, I moved from the fire, down to the edge of the trail. Not far from that point stood a small goat, perfcet. An arrow later, and I drag my reward up the hill; pulling relentlessly until at the feet of the shimmering bohemia. "For me?" He seems confused at this, hesitant to accept such a gift.

"Of course," I scoff, pulling the arrow from the carcass with a lovely squelch.

Sitting down, now I could finally eat.

Famished, from long days spent without rest, I tear into my venison steak. Many moments were spent in silence, aside from the occasional crackles of a bone munching predator.

~~

I had told paarthurnax what happened with the blades, how I was overcome with blood lust. He told me somethings that happened in his past, terrible things he had to come to terms with in his nature.

"It is in the nature of a dovah to kill." His voice is calm, but his eyes glimmer with reminisce in the low light.

Casting my eyes over to the horizon, the sun had sunk all the way down, leaving only a faint, fading, glow, "It felt different than my usual instinct. I felt threatened." Trying to explain this is like trying to fight a wily sprigian.

"I see," he shifts, craning his long neck to look me in the eyes, "tinvaak, speak girl. I hear the words you've yet to say-"

"I'm not sure what you're implying." I shook my head- an ancient dragon, a great teacher, an overcomer of evil... who was I to even look at him through the filter of adornment? Surely such things are simply beyond him.

"Ragron, vahdin! (Anger, woman!) I speak of the bahlok, the hunger- Paar, yes, desire." Deep vibration comes from his words, causing my hair to stand on end, with every syllable bringing new chills.

"It's not simply a desire. It's not that simple. You know that." My words become short, my mind grasping at straws, as a new feeling swells- shame.

"Wah Haalvut, has love touched your heart?"

"Ugh-" I feel my temper rising, along with pressure, "isn't love something that is beyond a being such as you?"

He draws his face closer to me, eye glimmering again, "No, Nid, love is not beyond me." With those words, the old dovah contorts his body to lay in almost a perfect ring around my bedroll.

The rest of the night was spent in a comfortable silence, though, a new unspoken relationship had been forged. The stars soon came to show themselves in the skies, and for once I felt safe when I closed my eyes to slip into sleep.

~~

When I woke, paarthurnax had his eyes trained on me, head still slumped into the snow, sleepy glaze still present in his gaze.

Moving, I laid on my side, back pressed into his neck. A short, purr like sound came from him, as he synched up around me.

No words were said for quite awhile. Just comfortable silence.