One

The cafe was strangely busy for six o'clock in the afternoon, families and strangers bustling in and out with big coats and damp umbrellas that made the floor slick. Yoonbum felt bad for the baristas, who flitted back and forth tending to the cold customers, courtesy of the almost frozen rain falling outside. Yoonbum almost wished it was snow, but he didn't want the roads to freeze over, as he had a job interview tomorrow and slick roads would completely ruin his plans.

  He sighed and blew hot air into his cupped hands, trying to warm them up. Someone shoved passed his shoulder and almost sent him off balance, but he regained himself and threw the stranger a not-so-nice look. After several minutes of scrolling through Twitter and Instagram, he was finally to the cash register, where a head of mousy brown hair greeted him with a smile.

"What can I get you today?" she asked, her smile looking tired and over-used, her eyes flickering to the ever growing line behind Yoonbum.

"A tall white chocolate mocha, please," he said softly, watching as she nodded and tapped away on the keys of the cash register.

"Anything else?"

"A chocolate croissant, please," he murmured politely, before she nodded and rang up his total. He swiped his card and stood beside the bulk of people that waited for their warm drinks. He severely wished he'd brought a big coat, but he was stuck with his flimsy sweatshirt that he only held onto because he'd had it for years. It probably belonged in the trash at this point, but he didn't care.

"Yoonbum," a different employee called and he stepped forward to grab his drink and croissant, thanking the lady and ignoring some of the comments about his name. Some Americans were quite rude, if he was being honest, but he genuinely enjoyed the country.

  He found a small booth open and sat down, glancing outside of the window as he wrapped his hands around his drink in attempt to spread warmth throughout his body. Small flakes had begun to form and fall, but melted upon hitting the ground, which hadn't quite grown accustomed to the winter temperature. He sighed and sipped at the drink, deciding it was too hot, before scrolling through his phone and attempting to find something to occupy himself with.

  "Yoonbum," a familiar voice called. Yoonbum's head instantly popped up at his name, watching his old friend and co-worker slide into the seat in front of him. "Damn, it's been a while."

Finally, it clicked.

"Kyle," Yoonbum breathed. "It's been, what, almost two years?"

"Yeah, where have you been? It was almost like you fell off the face of the earth."

"After Fall Away ended, I didn't really know what to do with myself," Yoonbum admitted, bringing his drink up to his lips; it was still too hot. "I've auditioned for several other movies and shows, but no such luck."

"That's odd," Kyle murmured, raising a dark eyebrow. "With your talent and all."

Yoonbum's cheeks burned, but he hid it by glancing out of the window, watching people bustle about in their big coats. His stared at his reflection and sighed. His black hair was an absolute mess, dark brown eyes tired and borderline bloodshot.

"I know what you can audition for," the man in front of him informed, giving him a smile. "Are you busy tomorrow?"

"Well, kind of..."

"Listen, there's auditions for a TV show being held at Cavern Hall tomorrow from nine to six, and we have one more spot left open," Kyle said, smirking amusedly. "One of the actors is actually one of the directors, and he's been searching for someone to fit a specific role for a long time."

"Okay..."

"And I think you'd be perfect for it," Kyle deadpanned, taking a sip of his frozen drink.

"I don't know," Yoonbum trailed off, tracing shapes on the table with his pointer finger.

"Oh, c'mon!" Kyle exclaimed, causing Yoonbum to jump. "This show is going to be a hit, you have to be a part of it."

"What's it called?"

"Killing Stalking."

"Horror?"

"Oh boy, you don't know the half of it."

---

  Yoonbum wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans and glanced at the script in his lap. He had cancelled his job interview for this, only because Kyle had insisted. Yoonbum was one hundred percent against the idea, but Kyle just insisted until he was breathless and Yoonbum caved.

  He glanced over the lines until they were branded into his mind. To mess up in front of the directors and other actors would be terrifying, and Yoonbum would probably hate himself for the rest of his life if he let an opportunity like this slip away.

  From what he could tell, the show was pretty messed up. He only had a small chunk of the script, but the first few lines gave him goosebumps. He swallowed as he processed the words through his mind and closed his eyes, mentally preparing himself.

He was gonna screw it up-

No, he couldn't think like that. He was going to do just fine.

  His name was called, so he stood and followed a man with a clipboard into a different room. Three people were sat along a table, discussing something; Yoonbum didn't know what. He stood on a small x made of spike tape and took a deep breath.

  "Good evening," he called and three pairs of eyes turned to him.

  "Good evening. What's your name?" a familiar voice asked, and Yoonbum directed his attention at the holder of the voice. His breath caught in his throat - it was one of the actors Yoonbum had looked up to for years.

  "Yoonbum," he informed, faking a confident smile. That was his job, right? To act.

  "Can we ask you a few questions before your audition, Yoonbum?"

  "Yes, of course."

  "Do you feel comfortable disclosing your nationality and sexual orientation?" Sangwoo, the actor that had been previously mentioned asked, dark brown eyes sharp and somewhat intimidating.

  "Uh..." Yoonbum trailed off.

  "Please don't take any offense," Sangwoo said, tapping his chin with his fingertips. "We just stay true to our characters, is all."

  "I'm Korean-American and uh...I'm gay," Yoonbum responded, cheeks flushing as he cast his gaze to the floor.

  "Excellent," Sangwoo breathed, a bright smile on his handsome face. "You may begin your audition now."