Epilouge

This is for a contest created by flirtinirwin for their book The Bodyguard. This an amazing story that I have loved reading; you all should check it out. I take no credit for it, all credit for that story goes to flirtinirwin.

~flirtinirwin This might be boring at first but I promise it gets better, please read and consider it for the contest 😅🙂

There was no way this was happening. It couldn't be happening! There was no way, I, Charlie Verbek, was pregnant.

Luke was not going to happy.

We had been together for a year. And, despite the diamond ring on my finger, he and I weren't married yet. We weren't ready for a child! I mean, Luke already acted like one himself (he knew it, too, and head no shame in it whatsoever), so how was he supposed to help me raise one?

I dropped the pregnancy test into the trash can, wadding up some toilet paper to cover it with. He wasn't going to find out about this.

"Char?" Luke knocked on the door to my apartment bathroom.

"Um, yes?" Why did I sound so nervous? I was the tough badass kinda girl, not a nervous, quiet kinda girl.

"You've been in there for a long time. Are you okay?" There was genuine concern in his voice, and not for the first time, I felt a warm fuzzy feeling in my chest at the thought that I would be marrying  him in a matter of months.

Hold on.

We were getting married. Luke was my fiancè, I shouldn't have been afraid to tell him anything, especially about the tiny human that was growing in my body!

I was going to tell him.

I felt a burst of confidance, opened the door, turned to face him, and said:

"Want to watch a movie?" I blurted.

Great job, Charlie. Great job.

"Um, sure?"

Luke gave me an odd look. He knew well enough to know when I was acting differently.

Ugh, I was a freaking CIA agent, acting was a part of my former job! Had I really forgotten how to do the simplest of acting jobs?

I forced a smile on my face and walked into the living room. "What do you want to watch?"

"It's your turn to pick." Luke gave me a smile, "Just don't choose something too chickflick-y."

"You got it." I said, and put in Divergent because I had recently finiahed reading the book and felt like I related to the main character.

Luke and I sat on the couch. He slipped an arm around my shoulders and I curled in on him, trying to focus on the movie and not the growing aprehension that was settling in my mind.

I was going to be a mom.

I was carrying a child inside me, and one day, I would give birth to that child, and they would grow up with a childhood involving parents and happiness unlike mine, and eventually get a job and start their own family.

And it was my job to make sure they made it there safely.

I wrapped my arms self-consciously around my stomach. If I didn't tell Luke soon he would find out on his own soon enough.

"So," I said randomly, "how do you feel about secret-keeping?"

"Secret-keeping?"

"Yes. As in someone hiding something from you that you should probably know about."