40%

A/N: I would have posted this sooner but I was having a brawl with a spider in my room that was the size of my hand and disappeared into thin air. I got it, but it took an hour and a lot of crying and problem solving to figure out how I could find it. There was also no one else home and I nearly called my neighbour over to help. Anyway, we've made it to the end. Here is the final chapter.

June 17th – Six Months Later

You know how life sometimes feels too good to be true? I've had this feeling a lot over the course of my life. Over the last six months, things have cleared up. Not just for me, but for everyone.

First and foremost, my parents' relationship has improved vitally. They argue on occasion, but Mum has found a company that are interested in publishing her work and by September she'll have another published book out in store. Erica has insisted she help plan the book launch, and considering Mum and Erica's strangely mutual friendship, Mum has had no issue in granting Erica permission.

It was on Matty's birthday, in February, that my parents met him properly. They also met Denise and her partner. The two pairs got along like gasoline and a lighter, planning get togethers and dinners with Matty's parents along with George's.

At one point in the night, Mum had gotten into conversation with Erica. The two have a lot in common, it seems, and Erica was always enthusiastic to talk when she came over for movie nights or just to hang out.

Matty and his Dad had met up a few more times. His call to Sheffield in January was in light of the announcement of Matty's new baby sister. It took him a month to tell me the reason for his absence that night, and why we had almost filed a missing persons report on the cold, January evening.

Their relationship was improving, and I was happy for him. He had some distractions throughout the year from the stress of school. He was never good in class, never enjoyed it and always wished to be somewhere else – but the balance helped him focus and I like to think I had some part in that too.

"I can't believe it's our last day before our 12th year," Chelsea announces.

On an oddly warm day in Wilmslow, the seven of us decided to up and move ourselves outside to soak up some sun and welcome the summer that the UK has to offer this year.

"It's pretty crazy," George nods.

Matty's arm is crossed over with mine, our arms stretched behind us on the grass and our legs in front. He nonchalantly lifts his foot up to mine to compare sizes.

"They're tiny," he says quietly, I roll my eyes.

"Would you like to take a photo to remind you?" I joke sarcastically.

"I'm okay," he grins, smiling at me through squinted eyes.

"I'm so proud of you," I say quickly, hoping it will pass as a polite comment and nothing more.

"Why?" he quizzes, his head cocked to the side in curiosity, "You're proud of me?"

"Mm-hmm," I nod, "Yup."

"I would like it if you explained," he bumps my shoulder, smirking now.

"Oi!" George interrupts, "You two," he throws a hot chip in our direction, hitting Matty right in the chest.

"Alright, mate," Matty nods, "No need to throw food at us."

"Are you coming to Chelsea's parents' place?" He asks, as if he couldn't have asked without the need to risk a potential food fight.

"Tonight?" I ask, unsure because my parents had planned dinner.

"Around 8? We'll go swimming; have some drinks-" he continues, cut off by Matty.