OnyxStone

-Jaxon's POV-

I sat through the dinner trying my hardest to remain cordial with the girl Stephanie, I could tell that my Cousin and his Mate were hoping she'd catch my eye and be the selling factor for me taking on the role of this packs new Beta.

But they couldn't have been more wrong.

It was obvious this girl could hardly stand me, to be fair to her though, I had laid the charm on a little thick.

But truth be told I was a little occupied all throughout dinner.

I was looking down at my phone texting Kendra, my own mate...of course she's no secret, it just so happens to be that I haven't exactly had the right opportunity to tell my parents about her yet.

"Show some respect." My father leaned over and whispered.

I turned off my phone knowing full and well Kendra would have to wait for me to call her tonight.

The conversations were kept light and when I talked to Stephanie she answered with short clipped responses.

"Dinner was delicious, thank you for inviting us." My mother said as she hugged my cousin and his mate.

I followed suit.

"Think about my offer Jax." Dean reminded me once again as he bid me goodbye.

"And remember what I told you." I said, "tend to your mate."

I looked over and noticed his mate blush, no doubt my lovely aunt would be pressuring these two to give her some grandchildren soon.

Then Cassandra spoke up. "I do hope you enjoy the tour of the town tomorrow, Stephanie has ensured me that she will be showing you only the best our pack has to offer."

I gave her a genuine smile, I like the fact that I could tell she was trying her best to help her mate and be a good Luna even if it wasn't something she ever expected to do.

"I'm sure it will be lovely, now I bid you a good night sweet Cassandra, and to you as well cousin."

I turned away and left for the evening.

__________

I walked around my cousin's new pack with Stephanie.

OnyxStone Pack

Stephanie made small talk here and there... mostly it was informative tidbits about the history of this place or the back story on that place.

"There's no denying the packs town is lovely...they always are." I sounded mildly bored. "How about showing me the grittier side, I want to meet the people I'll be helping the most if I become the Beta."

She looked at me, "well we do have a rougher side of town, the people aren't ghetto by any means...just sort of down on their luck." She said a little sad now.

I was intrigued to see that the girl Stephanie seemed to care, most pretty girls with connections to power tend to be stuck-up or self-centered.

I nodded, "mind showing me?" I asked.

She nodded, "we'll have to drive." She pointed out.

"We can take my car." I offered. She accepted my offer and we made our way back to the little coffee shop I had initially met her at. We reached my car and I opened the door for her, but of course she also reached out to open the passenger side door and our hands touched.

I thought nothing of it, of course I already have my mate so I wasn't expecting any sort of tingles or sparks.

"My apologizes." I sounded, not wanting her to think I was trying to pull any moves on her.

I took note of the forced smile on her cheeks. "It's fine, and thank you." She said as she ignored looking at me and got herself into the passengers seat.

Once I got into the car I looked over at her, "Can I tell you something, may help to ease the rest of our afternoon together as well."

"What's that?"

"I'm sure my cousin and his mate have pushed you on me, and while you are a very pretty young woman...I have a mate back home." I confessed. "And no t a lot of people actually know that, so I'd appreciate if you kept that to yourself for the time being."

She nodded before she talked me through the directions and we finally got to the area she had mentioned. She was right. There was an apartment complex, it didn't look too bad but judging on the cars alone you could tell that a working class sort of people lived here.

We walked around and she filled me in on a little more.

Seems like a lot of young parents, singles parents, and families with more mouths to feed lives here.

"Cassandra wants to spruce this place up, she thinks the kids would enjoy a more updated and brightly colored playground...she also has plans to help reopen the building down the street, she wants the older kids and teens to have a place they can feel like is there's...she's also toying with the idea of Were lessons so I'm sure they'd be held there."

I nodded in approval, we drove around a little more and the conversation between was more easy.

"Well I have to head back to my own pack, but today has been informative to say the least."

She nodded as we drove back to Dean's packhouse.

"I know it isn't my place..." she sounded a little nervous, "do you mind if I ask if you're thinking about taking on the Beta role?"

I looked at her as we had just pulled up to the pack house.

"Do you think I should Stephanie?"

She looked at me and shrugged, "I can't speak for you Jaxon...simply because I do not know you personally." She sounded matter of factly. "But I know Cassie and we both grew up alongside Dean... He is a good guy, a strong and honorable guy who more importantly is also very smart...and I know he and Cass will make great leaders for our pack and if Dean picked you, I know he had his reasons for doing so...and not just because you're family, but because he genuinely sees something in you that made him choose you above anyone else."

I nodded, "To be honest I haven't even discussed it with my own Alpha." I admitted. "As much as I'd like to help my family, the truth is I may not even be permitted to accept the offer." I pointed out.

She nodded, "Invite him over, let him meet with our Alpha and see if he doesn't warm to the idea of not only letting you become the Beta, but maybe opening up his pack to alliance with our pack."

I laughed now, "You're ambitious."

It was the truth, I hadn't discussed it with my Alpha just yet...as of now he only knows my cousin who happens to be the new alpha has asked me to come for business...But the main reason I was having a hard time accepting the role, was Kendra.

She can't leave our pack lands or rather...her mother is wheelchair bound and requires her assistance in everything, and as her father is buried there, her mother will NEVER leave Gainsborough...therefore my mate will never leave either.

Stephanie exited the car and I made sure she got into the packhouse safely before driving away.