Mei x Reader - Chilling

Your best friend Mei invites you over to chill...

~~~

The elevator doors slid open and you quickly stepped out. Part of you had wanted to be healthier and walk up the stairs, but that had gone out of the window the second you saw how many floors this place had - and remembered that your destination was at the top. You pulled out the crumpled piece of note paper with your best friend's address scribbled on it to check the number against the directions on the wall. Okay - down the left hallway.

When you joined Overwatch Mei had been stationed at the base, working frantically on some research with Winston. As you were new you were given time to settle in and get to know the base and everyone there, meaning that while everyone else was out on missions you were left alone in the lounge, gaming on the system Hana had graciously let you use. During one of these sessions a ragged-looking Mei had trudged in, flopping down on the sofa beside you. She had jumped when you greeted her nervously, before explaining with rushed words that she was so tired she hadn't noticed you there and apologising profusely. You had asked her why she was so tired, and the two of you spent the rest of her two hour break exchanging stories and gaming together. You'd spent every break together since.

The research was finally completed a couple of weeks ago and she had returned to her apartment in the next town over. Since then the two of you had only seen each other a couple of times when she'd come in to finalise some paperwork and for a single mission three days ago. The two of you had had a chance to catch up during the mission, and had come to the conclusion that you missed hanging out. Mei had then suggested that you visit her apartment - "it's messy but I can try to tidy up a bit; I'd love to have you over!" - scrawling her address on a page of the notepad she carried around and handing it to you.

You arrived outside her door and knocked, hearing her immediately call "I'm coming!" which was quickly followed by hurried footsteps and the sound of something falling over and a muffled "ouch, sorry!" before Mei opened the door and greeted you with a hug. "(Y/N)! I've missed you! It's great to have you here!"

"I've missed you too!" You exclaimed, hugging her back awkwardly - you'd never been one for hugs but would make an exception for Mei. "Are you okay? I heard something fall over..?"

"Oh, yes, I'm fine," Mei responded, returning to her position in the doorway with a blush. "I just knocked over a table... Anyway! Come on in!"

You followed your best friend into her apartment with a slight giggle; Mei and her clumsiness were kinda cute. You took in your surroundings as she led you through a small hallway where you removed your shoes, leaving them next to a pile of books, and into the living room/kitchen combo, where she gestured to a worn red sofa. You sat down and continued to look around as Mei got drinks from the fridge. Almost every surface was covered with paper full of notes, open books, and strange scientific equipment. The bookshelf in the corner by the window was full, emphasised by the stacks of books between it and Mei's main desk which housed her computer and some sort of neatly set up experiment. The computer was showing various charts which updated each second - looked sciencey...

Mei returned with drinks, setting them on the long coffee table in front of the sofa. Noticing your interest in the computer, she gave an awkward chuckle. "Still looking into climate change..." She sat down next to you carefully. "I'm sorry for not tidying up more! I felt so close to a breakthrough that I just..."

You noticed the dark shadows beneath her eyes: she'd obviously stayed up all night working. "You haven't slept, have you?" She shook her head slowly, looking ashamed. "You could always... take a nap now?"

"Oh no I couldn't! Not after you've come all this way to see me!" Mei tumbled over her words, flustered. She was too cute.

"I meant... maybe... with me if... you uh... if you were interested..." you trailed off, kicking yourself internally for making such a stupid suggestion. "Ugh, sorry... I'm sorry," you apologised, looking to her face to discover that it had gone red.

"No, I'm sorry! I, uh..." the researcher stammered before averting her eyes to her feet and continuing in a mumble, "I think I'd like that... if you don't mind that is!"

You reached for her hand, feeling your palms begin to sweat. Mei flinched slightly at your touch, but quickly intertwined her fingers with yours, looking up at you. She shifted across and gently pushed you into a laying position, resting her head on your chest. "I'm sorry... I didn't realise how tired I was," she murmured, yawning. You wrapped your arm around her, resting your palm on the small of her back, your other hand still holding hers.

"It's fine," you whispered, closing your eyes; you hadn't slept much last night either. You'd never been close to someone like this before - you usually hated physical contact but with her it didn't feel awkward in the slightest.

After a couple of minutes the comfortable silence was broken by Mei. "(Y/N), I... umm... I like you a lot... you know..."

You froze. "Is that like... more than friends?" You weren't sure how to respond.

"Y-yes! Sorry!" You felt Mei bury her face further in your chest in embarrassment.

"Sorry..." You murmured, feeling awkward. You didn't mean to make her uncomfortable with your obliviousness. "I like you too."

"R-really?" Mei looked up at you, wide-eyed.

"You're really cute and sweet and we have a lot in common. I've liked you for ages..."

"That's great! I'm so happy!" Mei beamed before pecking your cheek, making you both blush. You smiled, stroking her hair. "Let's sleep now..." she sighed happily, snuggling back into your chest...