Hatchling Artemis, confidence training

After a mild debate with the Queen regarding the possibility to keep Artemis, Scyleia had convinced her that the Tyto Stryx would be an asset to the Nation and not a risk. The Queen was worried regarding the size this creature would grow up to be. Artemis needed the right amount of training and raising it to not proof a threat to Amazons, especially the children. The other thing that bothered her was the amount of food this creature would consume. Scyleia explained that with her training horses, she had experience in training animals and the Queen did know this. It was not just like that, that Scyleia was chosen by the Ilarches to take over once the time was right. On the consumption, Scyleia convinced her that due it being Spring, more food was available and once Artemis was big enough, she would be able to hunt her own food and not eat the normal rations the Amazons needed. The brunette Amazon was very happy Artemis could stay, she already had fallen in love with the Stryx, wanting to take care of her and letting her be her companion. Artemis herself also seem to really like Scyleias presence and trusted her by now.

A Moon had passed and Artemis was still young but growing steadily and eating a lot. The Tyto by now was about the size of a young horse foal, almost reaching Scyleias waist when standing upright. Artemis started to use her feet more than crawling on all four like bats would do. The Amazon noticed this development and knew the Tyto would try walking upright soon and thus needed training to strengthen her leg muscles. Scyleia started to coerce Artemis to follow her around more. She made small walks around the village, teaching her to socialize with Amazon children at the same time. Artemis was weary about all the excited children and even nipped at some when they came too fast, too close for comfort. Scyleia did not discipline her when Artemis gave warnings to the Amazon children because the young Amazons should learn to see the signs too, but once she started nipping more seriously, the brunette made sure the DracoStryx was not allowed to do that and rewarded her when she listened. Elyria had watched her daughter from a distance many times, nodding approvingly to her way of training. The basics were taken care of now, Artemis could communicate nicely and with the Tyto moving around more, strengthening training would start soon.

Scyleia was carrying some goods in a basket to the storage hut with Artemis hobbling behind her, falling face-first to the ground once in a while but stood back up. The brunette snickered at the most awkward fails before continuing on her way. She stumbled upon Shelala who was making herself ready for a scouting patrol and the friends chatted a bit. Artemis stopped walking as her human companion did, trying to follow the conversation. However, soon she got bored and distracted. She looked around to see if she could find something interesting when her forest green eyes caught something. The tip of her long white and silver tail twitched back and forth, her owl head skewed a full 180 degrees and back. She had locked eyes with something in front of her as her wings spread out slightly for a better balance. She retreated slightly, flexed her small muscles and jumped.

'Ah!' Scyleia squeaked startled as she let go of the basket she was holding and turned to her attacker, only to lock her hazel green eyes with Artemis' green orbs. The brunettes eyes went down more to the Tytos beak which had one of her greenish feather accessories dangling from it.

'Artemis! You're not supposed to take that!' She admonished with a more intimidating voice inside her head than what was heard out loud because the sight was actually pretty adorable. Still, she plucked the feather out of the auburn beak because Artemis wasn't allowed to just take everything she liked what wasn't hers. Artemis wasn't that phased by the display but she let go of the feather afterall.

'I think you need to entertain her a bit more' Shelala snickered at the sight before her.

'Yeah I need her to do something. Something that also strengthens her leg muscles some more if possible..' Scyleia agreed. Then she had an idea. 'Oh! I got something!' she called out and at the curious look on her blonde friends face, she continued. 'I'm gonna take her out for a ride' she said but at the confused look on Shelalas face, she explained further. 'I'm gonna ride Tsianina while she runs next to us' Scyleia explained fully and now her friend got it. The two Amazons looked at Artemis sitting on the ground just staring back. Not knowing what they just came up with.

Scyleia walked over to the stables with Artemis hot on her heels. Artemis smelled the air, noticing a familiar scent, a scent she had smelled on Scyleia before but this was the first time she was actually this close to the source of the smell. She became very curious what this smell actually was and hoped her human companion would show her.

'Artemis, we're going for a ride' Scyleia started and motioned to the stables and Artemis hobbled behind her. They walked into the stables and the horses smelt the new arrival. They were curious but weary. Instinctual they were weary because it smelt like a predator but it was small and didn't seem to be aggressive.

Scyleia made her way to the corral where Tsianina was and the Appaloosa mare greeted her rider with an attentive neigh. Her warm brown and white fur was glistering in Helios' Spring rays and her deep brown eyes observed the little Stryx close to the Amazon curiously. She had smelled the scent before on Scyleia but she too, knew the source of it now. She wasn't that weary like some of the other horses. The little creature was with her rider so it should be good folk. Scyleia stroked Tsianina gently on the nose and neck before saddling her up. Artemis watched the Amazon, intrigued by what she was doing to that other animal. The Tyto tried to nip at some of the leather straps because they were moving but Scyleia admonished her for that so she stopped, for now.

They left the corral, the brunette first just walking next to the mare and Artemis next to her. Once they made their way to the road leading outside the village, Scyleia mounted her horse, gaining a confused look from Artemis.

'This is called riding a horse. We're gonna take a walk and I want you to follow us' Scyleia explained, hoping Artemis understood. Elyria told her Stryxes were highly intelligent and the brunette also had noticed that on her own already when observing her Stryx.

Artemis momentarily doubted whether to try and climb onto this horse animal too but it was way too high for her to jump and she couldn't fly yet. Scyleia guided Tsianina into a walk and Artemis followed, wanting to stay close.

'Small steps' Scyleia mumbled as she observed how Artemis followed them. She did a good job, getting better and better in walking on her feet without touching the ground with her clawed wings. Once Scyleia saw the Tyto had it under control, she commanded Tsianina into a gentle trot. Artemis notice the change in speed and her instinct pulled her at a quicker pace to keep up with her companion. After some awkward steps, she found her balance by spreading her wings slightly and erecting her longest tail upwards. She accelerated a bit and after some anxious moments, her confidence improved and she had fun trotting alongside the horse. Scyleia looked back, saw Artemis trotting nicely and a small smile spread on her lips.

'Good job, girl! You're doing great!' the brunette called and Artemis trilled happily at the compliment, she even closed her eyes. Something she shouldn't have done because suddenly, her world turned and it was dark. Artemis had tripped.

'Artemis!' Scyleia called in mild panic and stopped Tsianina in her trot, guiding her back to check on the growing hatchling. Artemis opened her eyes and sat more upright. Looking around to what just happened. She shook her head on body before standing up more fully again. Her light colored feathered coat covered in smudges of dirt and grass. Scyleia dismounted her mare to check on Artemis better. She was ok, she didn't hurt herself.

'That's enough for today' Scyleia snickered andthe three of them made their way back home.