Amortentia

Hermione Jean Granger sat down at the empty potions desk and waited, for the teacher of course, not her partner Draco Malfoy why would she be waiting for him?

She sighed and turned around to Harry and Ron who were talking animatedly about quidditch, again.

Hermione smiled pretending to be listening to the story Harry was telling about a quaffle and an ice cream cone but her mind wandered.

It was their 8th year and they'd come back to complete their education Hermione had been made head girl and Ernie Macmillan had been made head boy which was fun Hermione really enjoyed hanging out with Ernie and his boyfriend Terry.

Everything had pretty gone back to normal, actually everything had been quite boring, there were no wild adventures to go on, death eaters to battle or any Voldemorts to defeat.

That was until Hermione had been partnered up with Draco in potions apparently they were the two best students in the class.

Hermione had hated it at first, who wouldn't? But eventually she realised that Draco had changed. He was being shunned by all the students and Hermione had felt sorry for him.

They did fight constantly at first but eventually that had cooled down into banter. In fact Hermione was pretty sure she was Draco's closest friend. They did keep their friendship secret of course they both had reputations to uphold.

Which sounds very snobbish but it was too soon after the war there was still a thin layer of grief that clung onto everything and everyone.

"And then it landed right there and I said damn back at it again with them faces" Harry said interrupting Hermione's reverie.

Harry had spent a bit of time in the muggle world he hadn't told anybody about what he was doing but Hermione suspected that it had something to do with the Dursleys, it would explain the slang after all.

Hermione laughed in sync with Ron on que. "Harry you have he strangest stories" she mused Ron nodded and turned to face the top of the classroom what do you think we're making this time?" He asked nodding his head towards the full cauldron.

Hermione stood up and glanced over at the colourless potion with steam rising in spirals "amortentia" she stated.

"Bloody hell Hermy we were on the run last year and you still managed to know everything for this year" Ron said incredulously.

"Don't be silly Ron I haven't learnt everything for this year" she lied "besides we've already done this potion, I would think you'd be quite familiar with this potion Ron"she said slyly "after all you did get a dose of it in 6th year" she said smirking at him.

Ron looked at her in confusion, nothing new there.

"Does Romilda Vane ring a bell Ronald" she sighed.

He stared at her for a moment before comprehension finally dawned on his face "oh the love potion" he exclaimed.

"Yes Ron well done" she said forcefully.
She turned around in her chair and closed her eyes and counted to ten.

She didn't mean to be angry with Ron just she felt a bit disappointed in him. After their kiss during the battle of Hogwarts she expected something more than friendship with him but they hadn't even mentioned it.

Maybe he regretted it or was embarrassed nevertheless the kiss had changed something in their friendship and not in a good way.

Hermione had had a crush on Ron for years the crush had lingered after the kiss before evaporating and suddenly she was seeing Ron clearly, she had seen all his faults, flaws and they succeeded in making her very agitated. She had Draco to blame for that he kept mocking Ron and eventually it got inside her head.