Chapter 14

SPOV:

Once I was inside, I shrugged off my coat and put my bag on the ground. The room was dark. The only light coming in was from a small gap in between the curtains. Everything was completely trashed. Sheets were torn from the bed and clothes were strung out all over the floor. A faint smell of alcohol lingered in the air and a mirror was in pieces on the floor. I felt like I was walking through one of my memories and I closed my eyes. Running my fingers through my hair, I let out a sigh and opened my eyes again.

My heart beat was the only sound I heard as it beat against my chest. I didn't see him anywhere.

"Harry?" I whispered. There was no answer. I walked further into the room, stepping on various articles of clothing and trash. I went to the window and pulled open the curtains to let in a little more light.

"Stevie...". I spun around to locate the source of the voice. What I saw nearly made me break into tears. Harry was slummped in the corner next to the bed, wearing only a pair of his black jeans. His eyes were hollow and his hair was more unruly than usual. He looked so broken.

"Harry!" I rushed over and knelt down beside him.

"Harry, what hap-why didn't...". There were so many questions going through my head that my brain couldn't register which one I wanted to ask first. Tears started to blur my vision and he looked up at me.

"Please don't cry, Stevie," he said, distantly. He raised raised his hand to brush my cheek when I saw it. Blood. It covered his hand and I nearly screamed.

"Oh my God, Harry!" I took his hand into mind and carefully checked the damage. There were cuts all over his knuckles but thankfully, they weren't deep and the bleeding had stopped.

"What did you do?"

His eyes slowly moved over in the direction of the opposite corner. I had made the connection when I saw light reflecting off of the shattered mirror. I looked back over to him as the tears started to trickle down my face.

Without saying anything, I pulled him into my chest. I moved from my knees to the floor as he wrapped his arms around me. My fingers combed through his hair and I rocked him back and forth. Silent tears fell as I listened to his muffled sobs.

 It felt like hours had passed before he finally calmed down. I felt his arms loosen and he pulled away, wiping his face with the back of his hand. I brushed the remainder of my tears away and let out a heavy sigh. He looked at me, the circles had grown darker and his eyes were blood shot. 

"Talk to me, Harry. What happened?" I kept my voice soft and steady. He lowered his eyes and shook his head.

"Harry, you have to talk to me. You can't keep it all inside or-".

"Yes, I can!"

I jumped at his sudden interjection, his voice was harsh.

"Harry, I-". He got up and started to walk around the room. I stayed seated on the floor, pulling my knees to my chest.

"I don't have a choice, Stevie! I have to be cool, I have to be funny, and I have to look happy all the time! I can't be anything else; I can't do anything else!" He raised a fist and sent it into the wall. When he pulled it away, there was red left on the wall.

"They think they can just fix me. Dress me up and give me more pills, as long as I have a fucking smile on my face!"

"What do you mean they gave you more pills?"

He picked up a small prescription bottle off of the bedside table and tossed it to me. I looked at the label and my brows furrowed in confusion.

"Harry, these are for depression."