Prologue

"Good job, Draco. You made Slytherin." My father patted his head as my brother held up his green and silver tie to show him. "And River, what house did you make?" My father asked.

I held up my red and yellow tie. I looked down in shame as my brother laughed. "Pathetic." He cackled. I flinched.

My father's eyes widened in surprise. "Gryffindor?" He yelled. "Look, Narcissa. Our daughter's made Gryffindor."

My mother turned around on the couch. "Oh, so she has." She stood from the couch and moved to beside her husband, glaring at me.

"How can this be?" My father looked stressed and angry. "A Gryffindor. No, no, no. You can't be a Gryffindor. Our family has been in Slytherin for centuries." He ran his hand through his white hair. "The Dark Lord will not be pleased."

"No, he wont." My mother confirmed. She placed a hand on my father's shoulder.

My father looked down in shame. "It's all my fault."

"No its not,Lucius." My mother said calmly. "The Dark Lord warned us about her. He said that this might happen. It is not our fault. It is her's." She pointed at me and spoke as if I wasn't in the room.

I lowered the tie. My father straightened himself and lifted his arm, striking me across the face, causing me fall to the floor and the tie to fall by my side. "Get out of my sight." He growled lowly.

I got up, running from the room, tears streaming down my cheeks. I left the tie on the floor. My family hates me. I'm a Gryffindor and its my fault. I ran to my room and collapsed onto my bed.