The leaves were falling again

One year later. Start of junior year. Lillia was nice and tan from a summer in Jar Island. She and Kat had stayed at her old house, with Alex and Reeve visiting every once and while. Reeve had spent weekdays training in football camp, and Alex had an internship in the city, but they'd visited often enough to keep the girls happy.

"What up, Cho?" Reeve caught up with her from behind, then mussed the back of her hair.

"Reeve!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around him. She hadn't seen him in a week, since he'd left for his intensive boot camp. He looked fitter than ever, practically glowing.

"Missed me?"

"Missed you– not your ego," she giggled, and he swung her around in the air.

"Do you have class today?" she asked, as he fell into stride beside her.

"Comm 10. You?"

"Nope, but I'll walk you." She was wringing her hands. She tried to stop, but it only made the nerves worse.

Reeve raised an eyebrow. "What a welcome, Cho. Even a personal chaperone," he teased.

She laughed, but there was an anxious tinge to her voice.

"What is it?" He stopped to face her.

"Keep walking!" she exclaimed, pushing him forward. "You'll be late to your class."

He rolled his eyes. "Class starts in an hour. Besides, it's syllabus week. You're more important."

She blushed, but kept on walking. He had no choice but to walk alongside her. It made her less nervous; she didn't have to look him in the eye.

"Yes?" Reeve demanded, ever impatient, when she didn't say anything.

"I– um." She fell silent.

Reeve groaned in anticipation. "This is worse than waiting for Christmas."

"I– I was wondering... if... ifyouwantedtogoonadatewithme."

"What?" he asked.

She wrung out her hands again, then covered her face with them. He stopped in his tracks. Slowly, he pried her hands off her eyes, but didn't let go of them. "What did you say?" A slow grin was spreading across his face, as wide as a Cheshire cat's.

She took a deep breath. "I was wondering– if you wanted to go on a date. With me."

"Like a date date?"

She tilted her head. "Is there another kind of date?"

His face was guarded, but his eyes twinkled. "That depends. What kind of food will there be? And how's the company?"

"The company's the best!" she cried indignantly. He laughed at her, and she blushed.

"Never mind," she muttered, storming away.

She heard him chasing after her. He grabbed her around the waist, spinning her around. "Let me go!" Lillia cried.

But he didn't. He only hugged her tighter. He tilted her chin up so that she met his gaze. His expression was solemn, but his eyes danced. "Lillia Cho, I'd be honored."

"Really?" she squealed.

"But only if there's no shellfish," he added. She shoved him playfully.

The leaves were falling again. Boston was filling with red, lots of it.

Reeve tucked her shoulder under his arm as they walked to class, side by side. "Does this mean I can see your essays now?"

"Reeve!" she exclaimed.

"Kidding, kidding." He kissed the top of her head. "I only want to see you."