Trapped (Sherlock 3rd person POV)

He couldn't put his finger on it. From the beginning of the case, sat in Simmon's office, Sherlock had seen the spark, the glimmer of excitement in Everly's eyes. That spark had now gone. And he wanted to know why. Why had it seemingly been replaced by cold hard resentment?

Sherlock watched her through the rear-view mirror, sat on the back seat, clutching her bag to her chest and staring at her feet. Sherlock prided himself on being able to read Everly, something most people found difficult. In fact, when he had first met her, he had enjoyed her company on the case. Annoying as she could be, she had introduced him to a new world, the cyber world, full of both interesting and dull characters. She was good at what she did, something Sherlock didn't admit lightly. She was also good at winding up Mycroft, something Sherlock felt was admirable.

But ever since meeting Nick, she seemed to be in some endless state of shock. Sherlock could see it was deeper than that though. It was like she was grieving the loss of something. And Sherlock was annoyed that he didn't know what.

He sighed looking across at Lestrade, "Doesn't this go any faster?"

Lestrade looked at him then gestured to the red light they were approaching, "No."

The police cruiser in front paused at the light and Sherlock could see the back of the man's head they had just arrested.

Sherlock didn't understand him either. It wasn't actually a lack of understanding, he knew perfectly well what was happening. Someone had employed this man to act as a monitor for Nick. The man had reached out, employed Nick's skills, then thrown Nick under the bus when everything went wrong. However, that made the man in front just another face, another pawn. Sherlock wanted to get to those higher up, and after his unfortunate run in with Moriarty in the swimming pool, he knew this case had the Consulting Criminal's name written all over it. Who else would know of and want a computer virus that essentially brought down every system in the country? Sherlock admitted that it was quite impressive, however he didn't approve that his brother had dragged him into solving his problems again. All problems seemingly solved; the case had come to an end and Sherlock just wasn't satisfied at the outcome.

They pulled up outside the station and Lestrade cut the engine just as Sherlock climbed out smoothly and walked away. He needed to talk to this new player to see if he could gain any helpful information.

There was something Sherlock found comforting about the small, dimly lit interrogation room. With its minimal furniture and simple look, he was comforted by the tight space, the walls that felt like they were closing in on you and the two way mirror. Maybe it was because he liked the way the room made people feel uncomfortable, the way they were powerless and lost themselves to fear, stuttering out confession after confession. All their little boring problems coming to the surface.

The new face Lestrade had just arrested sat in the stiff plastic chair on one side of the metal table, tapping his fingers nervously and looking around with wild eyes. Sherlock watched him a while from behind the mirrored glass.

"Chris Ledger, 32 years of age, used to be an IT consultant for Barclays Bank before he was made redundant three years ago. Single, lives with two cats . . . what more really can I tell you?" Lestrade sighed, shutting the file in front of him.

"What are you thinking?" Lestrade finally asked, breaking the silence that had fallen over the side room. John and Everely absent from the scene in search of food and coffee.

Sherlock sighed, mostly in annoyance, and gestured to the man, "Look at him, really look at him. Does he seriously look like the person behind all this?"

Lestrade shrugged and Sherlock could see that he agreed in some part.

"But what really are we looking for?" Lestrade sighed, dragging his hands down his face, his eyes tired. "I'm not even sure I know how to send this? It's so far outside my division, maybe I should talk to someone else about solving this one."