The Show Must Go On (Ouran Host Club) *Hikaru/OC*

"Ay me! For aught that I could ever read, could ever hear by tale or history, the course of true love never did run smooth..."

Kotomi sat at her desk, twirling her pen absent-mindedly between her fingers and gazing dreamily at the blackboard ahead of her as she replayed the words over in her head for the thousandth time. Shakespeare himself couldn't have imagined hearing those words in a more beautiful, refined voice.

As an actress herself, Kotomi knew how mesmerising the right performance could be, but even she'd been completely blown away by him. The voice, the heart-shattering smile, that golden hair that could have been woven from the sun itself... And most importantly, those pools of liquid amethyst that had captivated her from the second they'd locked eyes during that first line reading.

Kotomi slipped even deeper into her daydream. How could one boy be so incredibly perfect? He was the kind of person who painters could only dream of capturing in their work, who writers would never be able to put into words, who poets and songwriters would weep and despair over...

"Miss Ono!"

Kotomi suddenly snapped to attention, sitting up so abruptly that she only narrowly avoided drawing a line up her face with the same pen that she'd been twirling whilst she'd been off in another world.

"I asked you a question," said Mrs. Yagiri frostily, fixing the rather unorthodox student with her stern gaze. "And I'd like the correct answer please."

"The battle of Little Bighorn!" said Kotomi wildly, voicing the first possible thing that came into her head. Several students around her started giggling.

Mrs. Yagiri pinched the bridge of her nose and actually closed her eyes for two seconds. "This is a math class, Miss Ono..." The class giggled even harder. "Now I suggest you catch up to where the rest of us are or you'll have to stay behind after class."

That was certainly incentive enough. They were going to be announcing some of the casting decisions after school - she couldn't be late to that. Especially seeing as she was already trying to think of a way that she could sneak out early after the decisions were made known.

It was safe to say that Kotomi made sure she paid the utmost attention to what Mrs. Yagiri was saying after that. Luckily, she managed to get up to scale on what they were learning that lesson and was able to leave when the bell rang at three o'clock, along with the rest of the class.

She hastily stuffed everything into her bag, swung it dangerously over her shoulder - almost taking out the eye of the boy sat behind her - and raced out of the classroom and straight down to the auditorium for the announcements. Ritsuka, the club leader, was the only other member there so far, but Kotomi was surprised to see one of the old members there too.

"Kasai!" she exclaimed happily, rushing over to her. "What are you doing here?"

"What do you think? I couldn't miss the announcements," Kasai smiled, giving the smaller girl a hug.

Kasai had been in the drama club up until the start of this year. It was her final year at Ouran Academy and she'd regrettably had to drop out of any extracurricular activities to concentrate on exams, as she was aiming to enrol in one of the top-listing colleges after she finished school.

She and Kotomi had become good friends through the club and Kotomi had a high level of respect for her as an actress. Kasai had been the leading lady in their main production last year. Exactly what Kotomi was aspiring for now.

"But I thought you had lots of studying to do," Kotomi pointed out.

Kasai laughed. "There's always lots of studying to do. I just figured I could spare the time to see the casting choices. A little birdie told me you've been working really hard for lead this year."