Prologue

Light was so bright. There was a girl. I cannot see her face because of the bright light shining like the sun. Even our surroundings, I cannot see. I was sitting—something like a seat of a swing. The girl seems to be talking. I was just there, sitting, listening, and thinking. Thinking something that I do not even have a clue what it was.

“—ah, I got to go—“said the girl, and she bidded good-bye to me.  A good-bye that felt so sad, a good-bye that wanted me to burst tears. I wanted to say something to her. I tried to open my mouth, but it was dry. My heart would not let me say it no matter how desperate I wanted to. She walked away. Being sucked by the never-ending light, never to be seen again.

Darkness was filling the light. I was sucked into the abyss. Alone. Forgotten.

Wait. This feeling… I felt like lying on soft cotton. I felt like being born again. Being carried up to the light of this miserable world. I opened my eyes. I was in my room, sleeping, but was woken up by a mysterious, powerful force inside me. I sat bolt upright. I hugged my knees while sitting down on the bed. It was just a dream.

I turned my head to the window. It was morning, obviously. The sky was hazy. Buildings can be seen from here. Another day for a lame person like me.

I stood up. My head hurts. Sweat was dripping from my face—wait, this wasn’t sweat. I placed one of my fingers on my wet cheeks and tasted it.

“Salty…”

Meh, absolute rubbish. I am not crying. In fact, I did not cry for two years. I lazily walked to the mirror. I stood in front of the mirror. There was a man with long, pointy but messy brown hair. There were also strands of hair because of sleeping. He was wearing a soggy white shirt that had not been washed for days. He was also wearing boxers, colored in blue with white stripes. I realized that it was just my reflection. A reflection of a monster that has woke up from its nest looking for prey.

The words from the girl were still tingling in my eardrum like a taiko.

“—ah, I got to go—“

It echoed deep inside my mind. Strange. I was sure I had not heard that voice before. A sweet voice, a sweet sad voice bothering me. It was getting annoying.

I was in the kitchen. I poured coffee in my cup.  Sitting alone on my small coffee table. Light from the outside had already creeped into the kitchen window by the sink. It dazzled me.

I took a small gentle sip of my coffee and enjoyed its bitterness. The aroma was making me feel a lot better.  I am already used being alone, enjoying this never-ending miserable cycle called—life.

After wearing my clothes—jeans and a shirt under a coat, I stepped outside, into the morning light.

Skyscrapers.

Cars.

People.

Tokyo.

A completely new day.