Chapter 1- The Mirror of Erised

Author’s note: Thank you so much for taking the time to click on ‘The deepest desire of our hearts’.

Firstly, I want to dedicate this chapter to Jabuticaba for being so unbelievably supportive of all the Severus Snape stories I have ever written! I remember talking to her about this story idea months ago, and remember that she was really looking forward to reading it! It’s taken me a few months to actually start writing it, but I hope it was worth the wait, Jabu :D

So, this will be a reasonably short fic (about 5 chapters, each chapter 4-8 pages long) that primarily examines what Severus Snape would see (in my opinion) if he looked in the Mirror of Erised during Harry’s first year at Hogwarts. However, there are a couple of twists along the way ;) I don’t want to spoil it for you, but throughout the story you will gain insight into Severus’, as well as Dumbledore’s, and Harry’s points of view. That’s all I’m going to say :P

COPYRIGHT statement: The characters, items and locations mentioned in this story originate from the Harry Potter book series written by JK Rowling. I am merely experimenting with her amazing characters and attempting to expand on the world she created, whilst still remaining loyal to the original material. However, the plotlines and dialogue used in this story are of my own creation. Please do not plaigarise my work: this includes copying it or re-posting it on a different fanfiction website. Thank you.

All of the chapters except the final one have been written, so I plan to update regularly. However, as I have begun my masters degree, I may not have the next chapter up until next weekend. In any case, please hang tight, I will update as soon as I can.

Happy reading! I really, really hope you enjoy this story! If you do, this story has been placed in the Watty Awards 2012, so please remember to vote for every chapter (if you liked it!) to increase my chance of getting into the finals! Thanks so much, your support is really appreciated! :D

The Deepest Desire of our Hearts

‘The Mirror of Erised’

Severus’ POV

        I was patrolling the corridors of the castle, keeping alert for any sign of disobedient students who foolishly hoped the rules did not apply to them. After one hour of monitoring the halls in such a way, I was up on the fifth floor. So far, not a single student had been detected. Although this is the way things ought to be, I hoped to find someone before the night was out otherwise these three hours of patrol would have been a waste of my time. I could hear who I assumed was Filch shuffling along the floor above me. One hour to go until I could rest for the night, to only then wake up to face another day of Christmas celebrations. It was such a ridiculous holiday where people felt obligated to act joyful when they weren’t.

        I should make a point in saying that the staff were not required to monitor the corridors every night like I was, especially at the ridiculously early hours of the morning. None of the other staff were doomed to such misery. Why? Because Albus saw it fit to confide all of his concerns to me. Of course, I appreciate being his confidante, but I knew that if it weren’t for my promise, and it pains me to say it, to protect Harry Potter, he would not bother informing me of anything.

       So here I was walking around all hours of the morning in case Mr Potter should place his whims of pleasure before his safety, which would then require my intervention to prevent him from doing something stupid. Immediately, the third floor came to mind. Naturally all the staff knew what was being contained there, so it was no surprise to any of us that, when Albus mentioned the area was forbidden, the foolish children wondered why. Did they ever consider that perhaps there was a good reason they weren’t told?