Words and Their Meanings

Words and Their Meanings~

As easy as swallowing a minnow - A phrase used to indicate easiness of the task.

As much use as a dead fox - A (harsh) insult, meaning the recipient is useless.

Bees in your brain - An exclamation meaning confusion or a cat not making sense.

Buzzardfood- Alternative of crowfood, used before the start of the Clans. Used in The Sun Trail.

Chickfeed- Alternative of crowfood, used before the start of the Clans. Used in The Sun Trail. C

rowfood - A (harsh) insult comparing the recipient to rotting prey animals (as in I'll turn you into crowfood!), or suggesting that they eat it (as in crowfood-eater).

(You're) crazier than a fox in a fit! - An insult used when a cat (or cats) are acting crazy. Another variation uses "madder" instead of "crazier." Lionblaze uses this to describe Ashfur.

Doesn't matter a whisker/Doesn't catch so much as a whisker - An exclamation meaning the cat does not care, (i.e. it didn't matter a whisker that she didn't share their beliefs) similar to I don't give a mousetail. Or saying that a patrol didn't catch anything.

Doormouse - An expression or exclamation used against a cat who sleeps a lot. Foxpaw is called this by Sandstorm in Eclipse.

Drypaw - A cat that dislikes getting wet, usually used in RiverClan.

Like LionClan/TigerClan - An expression stating that a cat does something very fiercely or well.

Flea-brain - A (friendly, yet harsh) insult. Severity of the insult is almost always decided by tone.

Fishface, fishfur or fish-breath - An insult used against RiverClan warriors, mainly appears in Bluestar's Prophecy.

Frog-dung - Same as fox-dung, except it's often used in RiverClan. Used in Crookedstar's Promise.

Snake-hearted - Similar to the term "fox-hearted," generally used by RiverClan. Used in Crookedstar's Promise.

Fox-dung - A (harsh) insult comparing the recipient to fox feces. Also used as an exclamation. (as in That's fox-dung!)

Fox-hearted - An insult meaning cruel, cold-hearted, or evil (as in fox-hearted Twolegs)

Furball - A (friendly, yet harsh) insult. Severity of the insult is almost always decided by tone.

Fuzz-brain - A (friendly, but harsh) insult. Severity of the insult is almost always decided by tone. Used in The Sun Trail by Gray Wing's younger brother, Jagged Peak.

Great StarClan! - An exclamation used to signify extreme surprise or anger. Similar to Oh my god! in usage and to the fact that they both have mention of a higher force.

Hare-dung - Used as an exclaimation, similar to "mouse-dung". Somewhat like "Darn it!" Used in The Sun Trail. 

When hedgehogs will fly - An exclamation style statement that shows disbelief that a certain event will likely occur (as in That will happen when hedgehogs fly), used in many variations. Somewhat like the human phrase, When pigs fly!

How in Silverpelt? - An exclamation used meaning "How in the world?" Used in The Sight.

I don't give a mousetail/They wouldn't give a mousetail - An exclamation meaning that the cat does not care. Another variation is I would ____ for a couple of mousetails meaning that they are willing to do the inserted action for no real reward. Can also mean that a cat would be stingy enough not to share a mousetail.

I'd have shredded you into mousedust! - to gravely injure, rip to shreds. Similar to mousemeat. Used by Yellowfang in Into the Wild while intimidating Firepaw.

Make dirt - to use the bathroom.

May StarClan light your path/Banish all the fleas from your nest - A friendly term used to tell others they wish them well.

May the Sun warm your back and the fish leap into your paws - A blessing used in RiverClan used to wish good dreams or, in some instances, to say farewell to a dead cat.

Minnow-brain - An insult that is friendly but harsh. A RiverClan version of mouse-brain. Used by Curlkit in Mistystar's Omen.

Mouse-brain - A (friendly yet harsh) insult. Severity of the insult is almost always decided by tone.

Mouse-dung - A (somewhat harsh) insult comparing the recipient to mouse feces. Also used as an exclamation (as in Mousedung! That can't be right!). Somewhat like "Darn it!"

Mouse-hearted - An insult that describes one who is cowardly.

Mousefodder - An insult describing that the cat is worthless or a kittypet. Used by Yellowfang in Into the Wild to Firepaw after realizing he was a kittypet.

Once a kittypet, always a kittypet! - A harsh phrase used to describe a cat with kittypet roots. Used by Longtail in Into The Wild on Rusty when he was joining ThunderClan.

(Only) StarClan knows (what) - Sometimes used to answer a question that is impossible to answer. Similar to "Only God knows what," "Only God knows," and "God knows."

Pain in the tail - An insult meaning a cat is irritating or lazy. Used by Leafstar in SkyClan's Destiny about Harveymoon and Macgyver.

Scaredy-mouse! - A similar expression to scaredy-cat, but in cat terms.

Scaredy-sparrow - An expression also similar to scaredy-cat, in cat terms.

Sorry catches no prey or Sorry fills no bellies - Means cats can be sorry, but that will not undo what happened

StarClan's kits! – An exclamation of surprise or disbelief. Sometimes used as an exclamation if a cat is hurt. Used by Ivypool in Fading Echoes.

Tabbies don't change their stripes - means that a cat doesn't change their nature. Equivalent to "a leopard can't change his spots."

What in StarClan's name?- A exclamation similar to "What on earth?" or "What in the world?"

That's a load of badger droppings - A harsh exclamation saying that something is nonsense.

Thistles and thorns - Used to describe bad luck (as in: Thistles and thorns! I blew it!); similar to "Darn it" or "mouse-dung."

Thundercat - Used to describe a ThunderClan cat. Used in Night Whispers.

You fight/hunt like a kittypet! - An expression used to insult or tease a cat who fights/hunts poorly.

Who made dirt in his/her fresh kill?- A phrase to describe a cranky or suddenly moody cat, as used in The Sign of the Moon.

Would've made mousemeat out of you! - To badly injure, rip to shreds. Similar to mousedust. Used by Graypaw in Into the Wild describing how dangerous a fox could be. Frog-dirt and Fish-guts - Used in RiverClan, has the same meaning as thistles and thorns, used in Crookedstar's Promise.

Rabbit-chasers - A less harsh insult used in ShadowClan to describe WindClan. Used by Rowankit in Yellowfang's Secret.