XXXXXV

Annabeth

Annabeth woke up before Percy did. She planned on leaving, but Percy shifted in his sleep. 

She paused for a moment, and Percy took the opportunity.

He grabbed her arm. "You shouldn't be getting up. You've been stabbed."

Annabeth turned to look at him. Her blonde hair was ratty and knotted, her gray eyes relaxed. "Thanks to you."

Percy smiled faintly. "Let me come with you."

"No," Annabeth swatted his hand away. "You need to heal. Don't worry, I know how to do this."

Percy frowned, his eyebrows scrunching together.

"A man named Ruin taught me how."

Annabeth leaned down, she placed her fingers lightly on the space between his eyebrows, where his skin scrunched together.

"Annabeth... Did you love him?" Percy asked suddenly. 

"You're talking about Ruin." She realized. 

"Yes," Percy confirmed.

"Percy..." She said, thinking about how he was Ruin all along.  "That's not fair."

"Why?" He asked, his voice going up a register.

"Because there was a lot I didn't know about him." Annabeth tried to explain without Chaos hearing them. "I was startled by him. If I had known more..." 

"Did you hate me? Do—Do you hate me?" He blurted.

Annabeth's eyes stayed calm. Like a loving tide. Or the waves before a hurricane. "Enough to kill you."

Percy laughed weakly. She pulled away again. He always caught her off guard. He startled her again. 

Percy had a strange look on his face. It was like he was trying to solve a complex math equation in his head. He grabbed her arms and pulled her lips to his.

He looked at her for a moment, then kissed her again. His lips softly traced hers, like he used to.

He stopped as soon as he started. "Would you kill me if I told you I'm less than ecstatic?"

"Less than ecstatic." She repeated numbly. 

"Annabeth, I keep trying to feel what I know... What I know I feel. You have no idea what I have wanted to do to you the moment I saw you again."

"I do, actually. I was there the last time we kissed." Annabeth kissed him one more time. "Now it's like kissing a stranger."

Percy grabbed her hand. He pulled the small green pearl out of her pocket. "This is why, Annabeth. Do you know what this is?"

"Yes," She said.

"Annabeth, I want to feel that thing again. The one that..."

Annabeth laid down on his chest. He brushed her hair softly and whispered in her ear.

"That thing that...Made me want pin you to a wall or, or kiss you like I would die if I didn't do it correctly."

Annabeth's body rocked. She was laughing. "I think I'm feeling it too."

"How do you mean?"

She cupped his face. "I look at you... And I can't see you. You look like you but you're a stranger. I miss you."

She went quiet, then tried to correct herself. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean—"

"I know. I feel it too." Percy reassured her. "We will fix this."