~Chapter Four~

February 27, 2016

The early morning sun peeking over the horizon was always a welcome sight to Justin. He loved watching the sun come up over the snow covered hills of the ranch, the bold colors painting the early morning sky illuminating the winter wonderland he was privileged to call his home. He loved how peaceful the early mornings were. Glancing out towards the pasture he saw some calves running and  playing in the snow and a smile spread across his face. Sitting at his desk, Justin silently drank his coffee enjoying the few quiet moments before the boys all woke up. More than just watching the sunrise in peace, Justin knew that he needed this quiet time to gather his thoughts for the confrontation he knew was coming with Colten. He still couldn't believe his brother was here, after all these years.

Yes, Justin relished this time of morning. Right now in the early morning quiet he wasn't  a sick and dying man rather he was a whole man and he basked in the peace and quiet that only the dawn could bring.  Justin was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't hear Katie come in until she wrapped her arms around him gently hugging him from behind. Turning his head slightly, Justin kissed Katie with a smile.

"Morning beautiful," Justin smiled at his wife running his hand through her hair, combing it away from her face. He grinned at her as he took in how she looked. Her blue eyes still clouded with sleep, her hair in it's usual morning disarray, her body hidden under his old red bathrobe that she claimed during their first year of marriage. To him, in this moment, she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

"Sleep well?"  Justin asked kissing her temple.

"Mmmmm," Katie replied coming around and snuggling into his lap a flirtatious grin covering her face. "I think so. I know my husband did, it was like someone hit his snooze button."

Justin's smile grew and he laughed before giving his wife a promise filled kiss, a kiss filled with all the desire that he knew would never be quenched when he held his wife in his arms. He loved it when Katie was playful.

"Should we see if that button could be pushed again?" Justin questioned as he smiled at his wife. Katie didn't respond just kissed him the way Justin had grown to love. The kiss started off slow but soon it was hard and demanding. Justin moaned into her mouth enjoying this feeling of togetherness.

"As much as I would enjoy a repeat of last night and this morning," Katie said shaking her head as Justin grinned at the smirk his wife gave him. "We never got around to talking last night." Katie answered watching Justin carefully. "And it seems we have a lot more to talk about than I originally thought."

Justin grimaced slightly. He knew she was right. Colten showing up before he could tell her what was going on did complicate things slightly. He grabbed Katie's hand and smiled down at her, loving how she looked at him with pure trust, love, devotion, and desire in her eyes. He knew that whatever uncertainty they faced in the coming months they would get through it together.

"How about we take Ted and Mary Beth up on their offer to watch the boys today and we go out to lunch and talk. I can get Will and Mike help me feed this morning so we can leave around 10:00 or so." Justin replied smiled down at his wife. He loved looking down at her, enjoying how she fit perfectly in his arms.

"I'd love that actually," Katie responded with a big smile. "It's been forever since we've been out on a date.  I've missed it. I've missed this."

Justin didn't answer Katie  just sat smiling at her.  He cupped her face, watching her closely. He would miss this. He would miss the intimacy that they had grown to have after nine years of marriage. Justin was no fool. He knew that the cancer that was spreading was going to cause his body to deteriorate faster than he wanted. As if sensing his thoughts, Katie's eyes misted over with tears.