Friendship

Lapis Lazuli liked to watch the rain. She sat in front of the window, watching the droplets slide down the pane of glass. It still looked pretty at night, though it looked better in town. Her wings were away to keep the inside of the house dry (upon Pearl's request), and she wore a light shawl draped over her shoulders. There was a sudden quiet creak of a door opening.

"Hello, Peridot," said Lapis. She didn't even turn, but she heard the smaller gem falter in her steps anyway. Lapis smiled, not risking a laugh just in case she woke Steven.

"How did you hear me?" asked Peridot, walking up beside her quickly. "Nobody can hear me."

"I was blind for a while so my other senses sharpened. Before Steven saved me," said Lapis. She touched the corner of her eye in memory.

"He saved me too," said Peridot. She sat down beside Lapis, which the taller gem appreciated. "The Crystal Gems would've shattered me."

"Me too," said Lapis. "I thought that they were all alike, but..."

"You knew them centuries ago," said Peridot. "Is Steven... at all like his mother?"

"No," said Lapis, and laughed gently. "And I'm so glad for that. His mother imprisoned me in that mirror. After she cracked my gem." She heard the soft sound of Peridot's fingers impacting with her visor.

"The fusion- Garnet- was going to shatter me," said Peridot. "She poofed me once. And then all the Crystal Gems were chasing after me. But not Steven. He protected me."

"He does that," said Lapis. "I built a tower out of all the water in the world, and everyone feared me or hated me. But not Steven." Her smile grew as she remembered the events of those few days. "He travelled all the way to the top of the tower to talk to me. Can you imagine that?" She turned to look at Peridot, and the smaller gem was taken aback by the passion in her eyes. The tears there.

"I'm... sorry... for keeping you prisoner on my ship," said Peridot.

"I actually preferred your ship to Homeworld," said Lapis, going cold again and staring back out the window. Peridot raked her fingers through her hair. Maybe she'd brought that up too soon.

"What was it like when you were there before?" asked Peridot. "If it's not too painful to talk about."

"He's had an influence on you," said Lapis, a small smile returning to her face. "Rose Quartz did that too. But she was also a fierce warrior. Steven is just..."

"Different," said Peridot. "Steven has taught me so much since becoming my friend. He's taught me compassion, and empathy, and human feelings."

"He taught me to laugh," said Lapis. "For thousands of years, I'd been trapped and stewing in my own anger. When I was finally picked up again, I didn't expect to see the face of a human on Rose Quartz' gem."

"Steven is wonderful," said Peridot. "Just look at us- two former enemies of the Crystal Gems, now sitting in their temple and working towards becoming Crystal Gems ourselves. He has this talent for getting everyone to love him."

"And to see what he sees," said Lapis. "If I'd just stayed here... then I wouldn't have ended up your prisoner. Or Jasper's."

"I'm sorry, okay?" said Peridot. "Homeworld is wrong. I can see that now."

"We should be friends anyway," said Lapis. "For Steven. We can't be a team if two of us are still uncomfortable around each other."

"Yes," said Peridot. She held out her hand. "Friends?" Lapis looked down at her hand and giggled.

"I still can't get over how small your hands are," said Lapis. She clasped Peridot's hand in her own and shook it. "Friends."

The two of them sat in a companionable silence as they watched the rain come down outside. Behind them, they could hear Steven sleeping soundly in his bed.

"I love him," said Lapis after some moments of silence.

"Who? Steven? Yes, we all do," said Peridot.

"No, not like that," said Lapis. "Like... oh, who are those two people on that show that you always talk about?"

"Pierre and Percy," said Peridot without even thinking. "Oh. Does he know?" Lapis glanced at her and saw Peridot grinning in a way that was almost frightening.

"Not yet," said Lapis. "But I will tell him."

"Will you let me help you?" asked Peridot.

"Oh, alright," said Lapis, chuckling. This was probably going to end badly, but at least they'd be bonding over something. And it would be fun.