Chapter Eight: Sweet Dreams

Faye finding Cyrus waiting for her was incredibly unexpected and a little creepy. He got out of his truck and walked around to the driver side of her car looking... really good. His shoulders were squared, his held was held high, and confidence seemed to roll off of him. She could hardly remember to breathe let alone find the coordination to get out of her car.

He came right up to her window and tapped three times with his knuckle. She hit the button to put it down. Putting his fingers on the window frame he leaned down to her eye level. The color of his eyes was unbelievable. A blue so deep you could drown. She suddenly became aware of her pulse as it thumped, echoing in her head. His square jaw shifted as his mouth opened to speak, but nothing came out. They just stared at one another, into one another, for an immeasurable amount of time.

The motion activated light shut off offering a distraction and he cleared his throat before asking, "Are you going to get out of the car Faye?"

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, was all she could think. Faye didn't want to be involved with a drug dealer, but there was something about him she just wanted more of.

"Faye..." God, the way he said her name. It fell from his lips in a perfect velvety whisper. She had to practically suppress a groan it was so soothing. "Yes," she responded feeling her mouth involuntarily forming a smile.

"Are you going to get out of the car?"

Finally she found some working brain cells and said, "That depends on why you're here."

"I wanted to make sure you're alright."

"It's after midnight."

"I know," he responded sounding unhappy about it.

"How long have you been waiting out here?"

"A while," he answered.

"I have to admit... it's a little weird."

Cyrus chose to ignore the weird comment because the definition held two entirely different meanings for them. And if she didn't want to get out of the car that was fine, he would take things as slow as she wanted. He had time, he could wait. But, the question that had been burning a hole in his brain could not, "Where've you been?"

She looked at him sideways like she was confused, but answered, "Work."

"At the diner," he asked and she nodded.

"They're open late."

"At least it's not open all night."

"So was there a shortage on bad waitresses and they needed your services?"

"Something like that," Faye said laughing a little.

It was the most harmonious sound he'd ever heard. And he couldn't help what came out of his mouth next. "You have a beautiful laugh."

"...Thanks"

"You know... I have to admit," He said using her words, "I wish you'd stayed home to rest."

"Yeah, well, you should slow down when you drive," she said seriously.

"You should not have been out there like that," he said in the same tone.

"I know," she agreed.

"So, how are you feeling?"

"Tired."

"And here I am keeping you in the cold."

"It's ok."

"May I walk you to your door?"

"Ok," she said hesitantly before putting her window up.

When she shut the engine off Cyrus opened the car door for her and closed it behind her. He reached out taking her hand feeling as though he had to. She froze and looked at their joined hands, but made no move to pull away. He led the way to the wooden stairs leading up to her second floor apartment feeling as if holding her hand was a huge conquest.

Cyrus was too much for her. Just having her hand is his felt so absurdly right it wasn't natural. At the top of the stairs he opened his fingers letting her hand rest on his as he watched waiting for her to move. The sudden surge of electricity rushing through her was enough of a shock that she pulled her hand away, her fingertips tracing over his open palm causing a visible tremble in his arm. He looked at it then at her. She couldn't read what was going on in his eyes, but they were expressing something.

She looked away about to say goodnight when he asked, "Do you have plans tomorrow night?"

"No," she answered honestly.

"I would be honored if you would allow me to make you dinner."

"You like to cook, huh," she asked stalling.

He locked his eyes with her leveling her and practically demanded, "Have dinner with me."

"Cyrus... I don't know if it's a good idea."

"Don't think about it. Just say yes."

If it were only as easy as that, she was all butterflies. He's gorgeous, polite, mysterious, and maybe a drug dealer the only sane part of her left chimed in. She was sure most women responded to him the same way she was, but she couldn't turn him down and answered, "Yes."

His triumphant smile was enough to make her knees weak and he said, "You won't regret it. I'll pick you up at five."

"Six," she countered

"Six, but before I go, there's one more thing..."

"What," Faye asked smiling.

"Your number," and then he handed her his phone.

Faye put her number in and got his in return then he left. She showered, put on pajamas, and then climbed into her bed and turned on the TV. She was flipping through channels wondering how in the hell she was going to get any sleep when her phone beeped signaling she had a text message. It was from Cyrus and read, "Sweet dreams."

Yep, she wouldn't be falling asleep for a long time.