The Past

"Wh-what? I...I don't know what you're talking about, Daniel." I stammered.

"You don't have to play dumb with me, Sam. I've been watching Chase since he was little. I know that you're his best friend."

I sighed.

"Does she know?"

"Eleanor? Yes. She knows about Chase."

"And she's okay with it?"

"It's a long story."

"I got time."

He dragged a chair beside the bed where I'm lying and sat on it.

"So?" I asked.

"I really don't know where to start."

"Start where you met Chase's mom or did you meet Eleanor first?"

"Ah...Chase's mom, Lucy."

He sighed.

"Lucy and I were high school sweethearts. She's very smart even when we were still in high school. Business-minded person. She came from a wealthy family like me. Then there was this party for freshmen. Every freshman is invited. So I came. Lucy came too, reluctantly. She was not the type of girl who loves to party. But with the convincing of her friends, she agreed to go. At the party, we bumped into each other. It was love at first sight. Corny, huh? But it was true for us. I felt magic when our eyes first met. Then everything between us just clicked. We became a couple that night. The day after her 18th birthday, we got married. Our parents were not that happy with our decision. They think we're too young to deal with marriage. But we were in love. We don't care about other people. College came. While we were in college, Lucy and I slowly drifted apart. She was always busy. And I was too. But not as busy as her. Then I met Eleanor. She was in some of my classes. She brought the sparks back into my life. I was happy again. But that doesn't mean I didn't love Lucy anymore. Lucy met Eleanor. She threw a fit after they met. I told her that Eleanor and I were just friends. But she told me she's not dumb. She told me that she's a woman. She knew when her man is cheating on her. She knew that I wasn't cheating on her but she's not the reason of my happiness anymore. She knew that she's not the one who brings the shine in my eyes anymore. And she told me that it's better if we get a divorce. For 3 months, Lucy avoided me. I begged her to come back and when she did, I stayed away from Eleanor. Even though I had feelings for Eleanor, I ignored it. I avoided her. I was scared of losing Lucy, We graduated and Chase came in our lives. After she gave birth to Chase, Lucy had been very busy with her business. We lost the magic again. I felt like we have outgrown each other. One day, I saw Eleanor while I was out of town from a business trip. We stayed in touch after that meeting. I found out she's still single. And yes, I had an affair with her. I love her. She got pregnant with Jake and I knew I had to tell Lucy. The day I told Lucy, she was beyond furious. She threw all my clothes outside my house and told me that she doesn't want to see me ever again. After that, I lived with Eleanor. We started living like a married couple. I wanted to visit Chase but Lucy would always drive me away. I've been watching Chase from afar. Eleanor told me to enroll Jake to the school where Chase goes so I could see Chase. And I did. Seeing Chase go to school is like an achievement for me. I was very proud of him. But after a while, we had to move to London for our business and now we're back."