Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

Aubrey's Pov:

My mind wandered off while the professor was having class. The events from yesterday made me realized that I should have confronted the guy. His attitude was so arrogant, it made me furious. Because of him, I had to stay up late reviewing for the exams.

Suddenly, a sound made me almost jump from my seat. The professor was loudly hitting the table with a stick. Everyone went silent and looked at him.

"Okay class! I have an announcement to make before we continue the class," the professor began his litany. "Next month, at the celebration of the department week, the committee assigned to organize the whole event announced that there will be a dance ball".

The department week. I didn't realize it was already next month. Anyway, I won't be attending that ball.

"Everyone is required to join; I will be checking your attendance," the professor continued, emphasizing the attendance check.

A student suddenly raised her hand. "What will be the consequence if we don't attend?"

"Oh! Thanks for asking. Whoever decides not to attend will just be getting additional two months of duty," the professor answered with a big smile.

The class reacted. I could hear their loud disagreement with the professor's announcement.

The professor raised her hands in surrender and spoke loudly. "All right, all right. Settle down, everyone. Any complaints about that will be handled by the organizing committee. So talk to them. More details about the department week will be posted on the bulletin outside the faculty room."

"Miss, Aubrey can't go to the ball because nobody wants to pair with her!" another student shouted, which made the entire class laugh.

Oh, great. Just great. I know that. You didn't have to rub it in. Ugh!

"Stop that. Let's continue the class. Now, turn your books to chapter 10, page twelve," the professor ordered.

The last class of the day went on for another two hours. After that, I stopped by the drive-thru of my favorite coffee shop to grab a small bite. I drove home listening to the songs playing on the car's stereo.

When I arrived home, I immediately flopped myself onto the couch. I turned my head to the right to look at the time from the Mickey Mouse clock hanging on the wall. It's almost seven in the evening. I have to review another chapter tonight. I heard stomach grumbled then decided to get up and check the kitchen.

I was deciding on what to eat as the doorbell rang. I rushed to the door and saw that nobody was there, except for an envelope that was left on the floor. I picked up the gray envelope which was tied with white ribbon. I turned it over to check the back but there were no details about the sender. I closed the door and went back inside and pulled the ribbon to open it.

I pulled out a piece of paper inside and read the contents. It was an invitation to a birthday party dated today from Kristen Chang, the girl from the class who told everyone that I can't go to the ball.

I'm positive that this girl hates me but why would she invite me? Besides, how did she get my address?

I frown at the thought.

I decided not to go to her party. I went back to the kitchen and threw the invitation to the trash bin.

A few minutes after eating, I proceeded to my room to take a shower. I needed to freshen up so I could stay awake while reviewing another chapter.