Chapter Two: Zuri

Chapter Two: Zuri

I feel bad for Katerina. I would hate to get married that young. Though as her Champion, I can't exactly tell her to revolt against her parents and tell her to not get married or whatever, but I can try to make her feel better. My job is to protect her from harm, not tell her how to live her life. In all honesty, I probably shouldn't even be talking to her, no there isn't any 'probably' about it. As a rule, Champions shouldn't be talking to their Monarch, but I never cared for that rule. Or any rule really.

The wedding dress looks amazing on her, and I feel a pang of jealousy as I set it down on her bed. No luxuries for me-ever. I probably won't ever be able to get married either. I watch Kat brush her perfect, platinum blonde hair from my spot against the wall. She's flaunting her hair, she knows how jealous I am of her. I watch the surroundings, study the window, just to make sure she is safe. Afterall, that is my job.

"Alexei can do a lot more than you give him credit for," For some reason I can't let what she said go. Her words about Alexei hurt me. I don't think she knows that I've slept with him multiple times. If anybody knew I would be dishonorably discharged and Alexei would be shunned by all of his family. Champions and Monarchs are never allowed to be together, not even just messing around. Then again, Alexei messes around with a lot of girls, and I with a lot of guys. It's why we work so well together. I've been becoming more attached to him though, though I won't tell him. I think I love him, actually, but he would never feel the same way.