Chapter Twenty-Three

When we pulled apart, my eyes slowly fluttered open, and I could see William studying my face, as if he was waiting what my reaction would be, if I would stare back or slap him.

Instead, I smiled. William gave a sigh of relief that he was not going to die today, and took my hand in his.

"I'm so thankful to have you Sarah." He murmured, squeezing my hand gently.

"So am I." I replied, as I felt my cheeks starting to warm up.

"So.." He began, as he pulled me closer to him and placed an arm around my shoulders.

"So.." I followed his lead, and folded my legs, hugging them tightly. I didn't know why but I felt so shy around him suddenly.

"How about we skip school today and spend the rest of the day celebrating my birthday?" He suggested, gently bumping my head with his.

"Unless you are the king of England, and it's a declared holiday, we won't be skipping school." I prompted, as I gently poked his cheek, "besides today is the first day of the rehearsals."

"You have a point." He agreed, pretending to bite my finger, and I squealed.

I surprised myself, when was the last time I squealed? I couldn't even remember because I never did.

"We should probably head back now." I suggested, glancing at my watch.

1:44 AM.

"Excellent idea." William nodded, and leaped to his feet, then he helped me up afterwards.

We both cleaned up, and once all the things were inside the basket, all except for the Lily of the valley, we started back home.

"Here you hold this." William instructed, thrusting the heavy picnic basket to me.

"What a gentleman." I muttered in disbelief, after all that I've done, now he's making me carry that thing?

As I reached for the basket grudgingly, in a split second, before my reflexes could understand what was going on, William grabbed my wrist and pulled me close to his chest, his one arm carrying the basket and the other folded around me.

"Really, thank you Sarah." He murmured against my ear, his breath tickling it.

"Always welcome." I mumbled in his chest.

William then pulled us apart, and kissed my forehead gently, "How about just carrying the flower? I can't hold both and keep my arm around you at the same time." He said, grinning at me cheekily.

I rolled my eyes, and crouched down to get the flower on the ground and as I straightened up, I found William had his arm around me, and we marched back home.

x-x-x-x

"Good morning everyone!" The three of us were at the breakfast table when we heard William holler, as he appeared. He gave us a sweeping bow.

"There's my lad! Happy birthday son!" Dad greeted, clapping him on the back as William took a seat beside between us.

"So what would you like to do on your birthday?" Mum asked, sitting down in front of us.

"I want to celebrate it with you guys." William grinned cheerfully.

Mum and dad exchanged surprised glances, that quickly turned into excitement.

"That sounds wonderful! How about we celebrate it tonight after your classes?" Dad suggested, spreading butter on a muffin.

"Sounds fantastic dad, we'll meet you there." William nodded, as he glanced at me, smile with his eyes.