Chapter 1

Vanessa

"I heard that Heidi is the new captain," Dianne - my friend - says as we walk to class.

"No surprise there, she's been working for that position since middle school," I say, opening the door to the lab.

"I still don't understand how Jake and her aren't together... they won Prom King and Queen last year," Dianne says.

"Maybe Heidi isn't really his type," I respond - my best friend chuckling.

"I still don't understand though. Look... Brenda and Logan are the golden couple." Dianna says. "It's got to be Heidi and Jake I mean come on!"

"...Maybe they're aren't meant to be," I suggest, taking a seat.

"Speaking of the devil," Dianna mumbles at their entrance.

'Their' being Heidi, Jake, Logan, Brenda and Kevin - the 'populars'.

Jake's seat is next to mine, ever since 4th grade. We're mostly in the same classes.

"Hi Vanessa," he smiles, sitting down.

I blush, "Hi," I reply shyly.

Heidi's heated gaze burns from two desks away.

"So, how was your weekend?" Jake asks, attempting to make small talk.

"Fine," I mumble.

He keeps smiling at me - eyes an undecided blue - making me feel slightly uncomfortable.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I ask.

"N-nothing," he stutters as he looks away, blushing.

He's blushing?

I look over to where Heidi is and see her throw one of her infamous death stares.

"Man she's got some boy issues," Dianne whispers from behind me, causing me to snicker.

"Who?" Jake asks, turning to us.

"Your girlfriend who you were allegedly dating since sophomore year, after she dumped that dude," Dianne smirks, tilting her head at Heidi before pointing to someone else seated in the class.

Jake laughs, "You mean that hoe who dates guys just to sleep with them... yeah I heard about her and I am CERTAINLY not interested." He reassures.

My mouth hangs open in shock as the most popular guy at school just called Heidi the - 'Queen Bee' - a hoe. Never in my school life here have I witnessed a guy apart from him gain enough courage to say that about her. I'm sure even guys from other schools have never said anything like that about her before.