Chapter 3

Neither Trainer
-
-
-
"So, which would you choose?" Blue asked, grinning with excitement, the small gap in the middle of his mouth showing.

They were sitting on Red's bed, hanging out like they always did,

Red bit back a snicker, hiding it with a face of deep thought.

Blue was holding a catalog like booklet out in front of Red's face, it contained all the Pokémon in the Kanto region. The book was open to a page with photos of three Pokémon on the left being happy and carefree. On the right three information bubbles about each one.

"Gramps said these ones are super rare and that he saved them just for us to get one on our birthday!" Blue told him lowering the booklet down, he gently lifted up his pendant to look at it.

"I'd choose Squirtle..." He said his voice trailing off in thought. "Since I love water types!" He said smiling goofily again.

"But you already know that, come on, which one's your favorite, dude?"

"...Charmander." He said quietly looking down. "I like his fire tail."

Blue laughed, he had expected that to be his choice.

"I knew it! I mean you love red stuff and well Charmander's red!" He crossed his arms, closed his eyes and smirked in success. He loved getting things right even if they weren't that important, though to him Red's interests were pretty important! He wondered if he thought the same way.

"I'm such a good obserbor huh?" He said confidently with pride, continuing on.

"Observer." Red corrected him a small chuckle escaped him, Blue would act like he was the smartest kid, but sometimes he couldn't pronounce most of his advanced vocabulary.

Blue's eyes opened at the correction, smug wiped off his face.

"Er, whatever you know what I meant!" He said dropping his arms down from being crosses and lifted the booklet back up.

"Ya know, I've been reading a little and did you know trainers get to battle gyms? Wait, I mean like travel around to fight gyms and get badges! Sounds cool right?"

Red nodded in agreement,

"Yeah, ...why?"

"Well I was thinking we could travel together! It'd be fun! Just imagine, we'll be the strongest, no one will ever stand a chance agents us!"

"Agains-"

He was stopped by Blue's hand on his mouth and his face flushed in anger and from lack of comfort and considered licking it to get it off.

"Shh shh shh! So how about it man?"

Red thought about it a while, it would be pretty awesome if they could become a strong team and that way they could spend time together instead of saying goodbye when leaving. That'd make this journey a lot less sad.

"Okay, let's do it."

"Promise me Red!"

"..."

"Reeeeed!"

"I promise."

"I do too! We'll be unstoppable!"

••• (-o-) •••

"That's why I want to know." Blue concluded, finishing up his explanation on why he was curious if fire and water types could get along.

Professor Oak sighed and shook his head.

"Well yes, usually all Pokémon get along perfectly with each other over time, types don't play a part on that, but as nice as your plan sounds you do know there's only one spot for a Kanto champion right Blue?"

Blue's facial reaction switched from wonderful relief to harsh shock in a matter of seconds.

"T-There's only o-one ... Say what Gramps?!"

He didn't know why he was so upset, they could still venture out together and become the greatest.

"Yes, after getting all eight badges you can enter into the Pokémon League and once you win you get into the hall of fame. It's quite an honor really, but like I said I'm afraid there's only one slot there!"

That was it, Blue's selfishness took over, he didn't care if they were friends, he wanted to become champion. He wanted that position in the hall of fame, he wanted to be famous.

"So if we can't be partners then what does that make us?" He inquired, tone changing from panicked to a bitter one.

Oak raised his hand up into a pondering pose before responding, he found it strange he asked but responded.

"Ah, I suppose you'd be rivals!"

"Rivals. I like that." He said the word slowly, like he was tasting it and crossed his arms. "Me and Red are going to be rivals!" He declared, not caring about the plans he made with Red.

He would become champion, get famous and become adored by everyone.

Maybe that way he'd finally get some more friends.

---
and the award for inconsistent updates at midnight goes to *TRUMPET TOOTS* VividValley!

No seriously it's exactly 12am now and to make matters worse I have a test tomorrow. Oh well, I guess this is punishment for not updating and making this chapter boring rip

I'll try updating on every Friday or Saturday from now on IF I don't give up on this woo!! Hype!