The Underworld is Divine

Her body is covered in the finest of silks. The blackness of them makes it hard to see her sleeping face. To see her face for the last time before the burial. No longer will I ever gaze into her deep blue eyes, with comfort and pity etched upon them. No longer will I ever see that soft smile, the wrinkles crinkling near her mouth. My hands clasps Agatha's as we recite the prayers for the dead. The High Priestess Lydia bows her head and lifts her arms in the air, for the gods to take her, engulf her in their secrets.

"It is a pity." Agatha whispers in my ear, her blonde hair wisps my face as the wind blows. Her gaze is still upon the high priestess. "Such a saintly woman Galene was. It was one of the youngest priestesses that had discovered her. She died in her sleep they say." We were huddled together, a group of women covered in black sheets mourning over our sister. The sharp wails echo in the warm afternoon air as the local men place the old woman's body into the tomb. My ears strains to hear the last words of the high priestess before she ends the service. "...and may the god hold her in his bosom. May he escort the good woman to the underworld and give her riches she so deserves."

And just like that, we fall apart. Bodies moves away in all directions as we continue to live. To live our own lives. Through the dispersing crowd, I saw him for the first time in years. Cassius. His short auburn hair ripples in the wind as a smile starts etching upon his face.

Our eyes meet from across the fields. I feel the wind caress my flushing cheeks as I try to breathe again. My body shakes from the shock of it all. I see him here again, my savior. He moves through the crowd as our eyes stay fixed to each other. I am mesmerized.

"Your Highness." He bows his head as he reaches for my hand. "A word if you will permit me." I turn to see Agatha walking away, a small smile etch across her smooth pale pink lips. I let him hold my hand as he motions me toward the marketplace.

"I am not royal anymore. So please, call me Arsinoe. I would much prefer that." I whisper as the crowd starts to thin away, living us few living souls in the cemetery. "Please, what news do you have of my sister and her children? I must know if I should be fearful or not." Arms entwined, we made our way to the streets of Ephesus. The buzzing voices, the sights, and the sounds always fascinated and frightened me as we headed toward the marketplace.

Our bodies collided with others as we made our way through the crowded streets. The sights, the sounds, the many colors of both tunic and faces leaves me dizzy.

"As you know Caesar is dead and your sister remarried, to Mark Anthony of all people. The rage within the empire is boiling. Sooner or later something will happen." His voice is husky with age and weariness as we make our way through the clusters of people and stands. The temptation is fierce as I look upon stands that contain my childhood favorites; satins of a variety of colors, dates, wine, pumpkins, and juniper berries. My mind, body and soul is back in Egypt, under the sycamore trees, with laughter in the warm dry air. My heart is skipping a thousand beats as I try to choose what I want. Something small, something light. Something I can hide within my belongings.

"Arsinoe, Did you hear me?" I turn to see shadows cast upon his face. His eyes are filled with so much emotion I cannot decipher it. What could possibly be going on within that tumultuous mind of his?

"Cassius, To whom my sister laid upon her back for is of no concern of mine."

"It will be a concern. It concerns us all. You know this fact well, more so than others. You touched the heart of a snake and lived to tell. She is like an infection to both of us and the entirety of the empire." He approaches me closer until our faces almost meet. I can feel his breath upon my face. The scent of musk and sea engulfs my nostrils. "I warn you. You are still a threat to her and her state. If I know you, I know you would have something up your sleeve. Whatever it is, disregard it. Leave it." And with that he turns away, leaving me at the fruit stale. I will not let him leave me.

"Cassius."

I try my best to produce the most pleasing smile I can muster. With my hands behind my back and a sway on my hips, I walk toward him.

"Will you purchase something for me? 'Tis nothing expensive, I can assure you, but it is something that I am in dire need of. So I command you to buy it for me." I said, as I bat my eyes at him.

"Ah, my lady commands me. Pray tell what is it you what and maybe I will get it out of the goodness of my heart."

I point to the stand beside us. "Dates. Two, no Three. I've hadn't had any in so long and it is so close to me that if I do not have it I will swipe it for myself."

"Thievery does not suit you, my princess." Without another word he grabs two dates from the stale, paying the woman with coins and a smile. He holds them in front of me. I can feel my mouth water from the thought of tasting them. As I try to take them, Cassius moves his hands back. He shakes his head. A mischievous smile forms upon those chapped lips.

"I am not a princess, remember. And I am far from being yours." I managed to whisper, as my heart pounds in my chest. I looked around hoping no one heard what he said.

"Yes but you will always be one in my mind. No one can strip away royal blood, only spill it. Now, as for being mine, well, I make claim on any and all treasures I find." He holds up the dates in front of me. Our fingers touched only for a moment before I slide away from him.

We walked through the fields of stone and mortar as we head toward the temple of Artemis. The sun's rays shines down on our backs while the moon rises before us. He whispers stories of queens and kings, sultans and his harem of women, of tales from my homeland to a scenic paradise of greens beyond one's belief. He even confesses to me of his acquirement of exotic treasure. We laugh and we smile until finally I am at the steps that lead to the temple.

My heart sinks deep within me as I turn to say farewell. He leaves without another word, leaving me behind in the glowing light of the lanterns that surround me. I sit on the bottom stairs as I watch the rising of the full moon. My fingers are still stained as I wipe them on my tunic. Then it happens. My minds start to wander as I look out upon the descending sun. Scenes flashes before my eyes, before fading to blackness.

***

I can feel the cool desert breeze caress my youthful skin as I lay in bed. I am young and I am at home in Alexandria. My heart is pounding heavily in my chest as I am startled awake, sweat still pouring from my body and seeps into the satin sheets that surround me. I hear hushing sounds, the sounds of shuffling feet and clothing as I open the door of my room ever so slightly, just to see what was happening. They stand near my golden door as they try their best to whisper. Frustration and fear lingers in their eyes as they speak of the worse atrocity my young mind would ever experience for the first time.

"She was young." The servant girl whispers as she folds the satin sheets in front of her. The other woman, my mother, looks around before responding to her.

"She was stupid. Berenice should've mind herself. Power gets to the best of us. Now, mind your business." Mother whispers as she slips a scarf upon her head, covering her beautiful black wig. Her brown eyes searches around, looking for anyone that might overhear them speaking of such things.

Even as a young girl, I knew fully the travesties of such speech. Such thoughts were forbidden. Treason among them. Death was the penalty.

"Mistress, I cannot help but to feel for the girls. Have you told your daughter yet?" The servant girl stops folding the sheets, focusing her full attention on the woman in front of her. My mother shock her head before leaving the servant girl.

My body shakes with emotions, emotions I've never felt before in my life. Fear, that's what it was. Fear and loathing and sadness; such immense sadness that I can't help myself any longer. I let out a sharp cry as I back away from the door, as if it's a monster that will come to kill me too. But at that moment, I knew the monsters were not beasts that roamed the darkness and the underworld, but human who walked the earth in satin and jewelry, morphing in whatever and whoever he wanted to be. He smiled and tempted the soul while stabbing them in the back. And they, like snakes, slither everywhere throughout the palace walls.