Chapter Nineteen: We Meet Again

There it was. 

There stood the slightly crooked, wooden building that stood at the end of the cobblestone path. A golden sun was peeking out from behind the structure as if it were watching the woman's next move. From a sudden impulse, Sybill's feet stopped at once. Courfeyrac's arm inadvertently pulled her a step forward, but the man soon released once he realized he was incidentally dragging an unwilling guest.

Sybill's green eyes fixated on that building in a trance. She had not visited the Musain in over a fortnight; had not dared to venture this far. It was not from fear of the marble man for she knew that Enjolras would never cause her physical harm though she worried perhaps his inconstant moods were waxing on her mental state. No, there was another emotion hidden there that caused the girl to stop in her relaxed gait.

"If you are fearful, be not," assured Courfeyrac. "The red devil is not inside, and he shall not be for many hours to come. His family has claimed his daytime hours of late, and there is no reprieve from it. Mark my words; we will not see him." 

Sybill nodded. "I do believe it is not the quick-tempered orator I fear, but I feel... strange I suppose returning once more to the Musain after such humiliation. I have twice found myself banished from the man's presence, and I have not the mercy this time of feigning disinterest for I now find myself invested in the lives of the Musain's associates." Courfeyrac watched the girl's features carefully. Her green eyes were deep as a sea with curiosity and some expression that was foreign to the man. In the next heartbeat, Sybill found herself shrugging with a smile and turning to Courfeyrac. "Best carry on."

"And so we shall," beamed Courfeyrac enthusiastically.

The pair breezed into the cafe with the charmer carefully watching the guarded expressions of the woman beside him. Her behavior was puzzling the man for he knew now that she felt uneasy upon entering the establishment, but she wore a smile so large that not a soul could determine that uneasiness. 

This was another moment when Courfeyrac felt that strange pull of emotion that he had felt a fortnight ago to kiss her. It was a sudden flash of a whim that he wished would never had entered his mind. There was something about even Sybill's presence beside him that now charmed the charmer. Without doing anything, she radiated a warmth around her that was noticeable immediately. He looked at her for perhaps too long or perhaps too often for Sybill soon noticed and teased him.

"Dear me, monsieur, if you look at me once more, then I will be frightened that something is amiss."

Courfeyrac chuckled. "No, no, fear not. I merely admire artwork whenever I come across it."

Sybill's cheeks flushed red immediately, and Courfeyrac smirked. "Oh, I have missed you," grinned Sybill.

It was true. The pair had reignited their friendship while contriving plans for Courfeyrac's fair Galya, but they had not seen each other since the doomed plan was enacted. There was no reason for a meeting between the two so far as either could see it. For Sybill did not wish to call upon Courfeyrac so that he would not perchance perceive a deeper feeling motivating her call (where there was none), and Courfeyrac could not call upon Sybill for he feared he would appear foolish to the woman. It had been a week since the pair had seen each other, and they were glad to have each other's company once more.

Sybill's eyes fell to the bar of the establishment where she noticed an absent Muschietta. Courfeyrac's eyes followed hers, and he shrugged. "She must be upstairs then. She'll be glad to see you."

"Will she?" questioned Sybill as the pair approached the door leading to the upstairs room. "I disappeared so suddenly. Perhaps she is angry with me."