T H R E E

Chapter Three| Detention

Listen to Brand New Moves by Hey Violet

"So you have detention?" Bianca asked me.

"Yeah," I say, sighing in defeat. "All of this happened on Saturday at the carnival."

"Wow... I never expected this from you."

Over the years, I've learnt to accept Bianca's bluntness and snobbish ways. She was slightly unfiltered as well- saying whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. I guess it must be a common trait in all Hollywood actor's kids. Bianca thought she was superior and sometimes, I found myself entertaining that. Heck, I'm sure everyone at school entertained it.

The thing is, no one actually liked Bianca. She was often brash and had this overconfident air around her. It was suffocating... Sometimes.

"Yeah well, please don't tell anyone. Don't mention it to Taliya either, she'll probably tell the entire school," I chuckle.

"I won't," she says, shrugging. "She's with Robbie right now."

Robbie Wilkins was the star of the football team. He was good looking as well with his dirty blonde hair, square shoulders and bulky arms. He had crystal blue eyes that stood out from the rest of his tanned skin. It was only natural for Taliya to attempt her 'moves' on him.

"Definitely saw that one coming," I laugh. "Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Enjoy detention," I hear her say as I spin around to leave.

Feeling even more defeated than before, I lazily trudged to room 19 where my first detention in my seventeen years of existence would be held. To say I felt a little sick was an understatement. I kept asking myself, what kind of Student Body President gets detention? My parents weren't so happy either and I had to explain to them multiple times until they finally understood my compromising position.

Or at least they half understood.

Room 19 belonged to Mrs. Elesburg- an old Westie who taught English after many years of flourishing as a model in New York. Even though she was lively and energetic in her younger days, she seemed to have slowed down over the years. I couldn't comprehend how they assigned her to detention duty. She couldn't control one Southie, how would she control six of them?

Then there was me. I'm sure Mrs. Elesburg will be delighted to have some extra assistance with the boys. She also might be unpleasantly surprised that I'm actually turning up to her class. In fact, maybe she might be a little disappointed...

With these thoughts swirling in mind, I hesitantly stepped into her empty classroom. To my dismay, she barely spared me a glance before returning to her computer. She didn't seem surprised, shocked, disappointed... Nothing. She just slowly tapped away at the keyboard in front of her. There would be a long pause before she'd click the next key, another pause, hit, another pause... And so on. With this ticking rhythm in my head, I took a seat in the front, wearily fiddling with the hem of my t-shirt.

Would the boys even attend? Principal Georgia had threatened them with prom but like Tanner had mentioned, they don't care about prom and weren't planning to go. Besides, it would just be another event for them to vandalize school property, get drunk or high and overall just ruin the last good dance at high school.

Southies were naturally like that. They either showed up to mess up or didn't bother at all. I've always secretly wondered if they were like children of inattentive parents. Maybe they did all these reckless acts to have the school pay attention them. Maybe they were lacking it. I've always thought that maybe they do want to attend these socials and not have to worry about dressing fancy or doing their make up and hair...