16 | COWARDS

CACOETHES
CHAPTER SIXTEEN !

Out of the corner of her eye, Imogen noticed Miss Avocet peer out of the door, before hastily disappearing back into the pantry. Imogen was standing stock still, glaring holes into Barron's head as Miss Peregrine reluctantly stood aside to let the two men in. At this point, Imogen's locket was basically molten, burning and hopping around under her dress as she had it tucked away.

Very discreetly, Imogen slowly untucked the locket so that it was no longer sitting atop of her dress. When Barron glanced at her, Imogen quickly dropped her arm to her side so that he didn't suspect anything.

"Children! Would you make your way down the stairs, please?" Barron called to the rest of the peculiars standing on the stairs. Imogen suddenly made eye contact with Jake, and all she did was widen her eyes slightly and he got the message. Quickly Jake, refocused his attention on the peculiars.

"I give the orders in this house, Mr Barron." Miss Peregrine hissed, halting the children as they started to take a step downstairs.

"Not today. You should know that Jake has served his purpose. If you value his life, I suggest everyone does as they're told. Children!" Barron threatened. Imogen's blood boiled hotter, until she couldn't take it anymore.

"Elijah, you're going to listen to Barron just like everyone else is or so help me I'll get you back in this locket immediately. Are we clear?" Imogen murmured under her breath, so quietly it was barely audible. But Elijah heard, because as his answer the necklace cooled down a bit. So, as discreetly as Imogen could, she unclasped her locket and she felt a weight lift off of her chest as Elijah was let out. But, just as he was told, he remained by her side and didn't go after Barron.

"Shush! No one tells my children what to do! Children, come down here, please." Miss Peregrine calmly said, turning to the rest of the peculiars standing on the stairs.

"Miss Peregrine, I--" But Barron was cut off when Miss Peregrine cut him off, causing Imogen to smirk to him herself. Inwardly, of course.

"I thought I told you to be quiet." She snapped, before returning back to the children who were making their way down the stairs. "Children, for Jake's safety, we're going to do what Mr Barron asks. He wishes to take me with him to his rendezvouz in Blackpool. So, for his protection, he'd like me to assume bird form, preferably caged. And he'd like you to make your way into a lockable room, such as the parlour. As he won't release Jake if he fears an attack could be mounted upon him once he loses his leverage. Correct, Mr Barron?"

Imogen held back a scoff at Miss Peregrine's little jabs at Barron, curling her lips inwards and smiling, ignoring when Elijah elbowed her side for her to stay quiet.

"You're sacrifcing yourself and all of us, for Jake?" Enoch asked incredulously, not able to grasp why this one boy meant so much.

"Mr Barron travels with a hollow, Enoch. Once it arrives here, we're all dead." Miss Peregrine said to Enoch.

"Enoch, only Jake can see them. She means he's our only hope." Horace hissed to Enoch. Finally, the boy gave in and the peculiars, in single file, began making their way to the parlour. As always, Imogen brought up the back of the group. Everyone nodded their goodbye to Miss Peregrine as they passed, but Imogen was on the verge of tears.