Engagement Ring

Like promised Nick and I went ring shopping. Max suggested a jewelry store which had nice things which also came with high prices. Setting foot into that store made me anxious, I knew my fiancé had money, but sometimes it was easy to forget because he seemed like an average guy to me. Then he took me out on fancy trips or to fancy stores like this one and I was hit in the face with how much money he actually made. Nick had it all, well according to him, he almost had it all. Smiling I rubbed a hand over my swollen stomach and tightened my grip on Nick's hand. He flashed me a smile and led me to the shop assistant who was very eager to help. She showed me various rings until Nick's eyes landed on a particular ring. My lips curled up to a smirk knowing why his eyes shifted to that one.

"I'd like to see that one," I told the woman behind the counter, pointing at the ring with a delicate silver band and a small diamond heart on top, the diamond pink colored.

The woman looked confused at first but still went to get me the ring I asked for. Nick met my gaze, his lips also curling up to a smirk.

"I'd like to try it on," I told the woman once she placed it on top of the soft pad in front of them.

Nick reached for the ring the woman held out to him and gently slipped the ring around my finger. It didn't fit quite yet, but the woman assured us she could have it fixed within an hour. Nick paid her generously for it, an amount of money I could never repeat out loud. We both agreed that ring was meant for us though.

"It surprised me you chose that one." He told me as we left the store to grab something eat.

"Why?" I asked him curiously, "It's the first ring which caught your attention." I linked my fingers with his and smiled, "It's a reminder of the first time we met. So I agreed with your silent suggestion."

"My silent suggestion?" He sounded amused.

It only made me tighten my grip on his hand. We picked a small coffee shop around the corner of the jewelry store. I settled for a mint tea with a vanilla muffin while Nick ordered a coffee and a grilled cheese sandwich. We discussed our trip to Tokyo. We'd head to the airport after dinner, Max offered to drive us. Nick accepted his offer without hesitation, Max was definitely becoming his new best friend. Poor Evan. I'm sure he'd come complaining to me once he found out. I already felt bad enough for him.

"I miss Evan." I blurted out without thinking, causing Nick to chuckle.

"I know, we arranged this trip because of that."

"I can't wait to see him."

He laughed, "Aren't you supposed to say I can't wait to see them?"

I poured some honey into my drink and carefully stirred it, "Of course I'd also like to spend time with Chris and his girlfriend and your friend Zoey as well." I pulled the spoon out of the drink and placed it carefully on the saucer, holding the tall glass carefully in both hands, "But Evan is special, you know."

"I know." Nick was having a blast, he just didn't voice it, "We'll have enough time to catch up with them."

"It feels like forever since Evan dropped by, hung out with us on the couch while eating all our food." I sipped from my drink, "Hope this project ends quickly because I'm done with it."

"Em, he'll be bothering us, stealing all our food while lazing around on our couch before you know it."

I pouted my lips, "Maybe not, maybe he'll fall in love with Zoey and then we'll lose him forever."

That made all the amusement fade from Nick's eyes, he leaned back against his seat. His coffee forgotten along with his grilled cheese sandwich. He narrowed his eyes on me, scanning my face before he quietly questioned me.