Maybe Someday

As soon as we entered the Junior Goodwill Games Cafeteria, Connie's running over to none other than her strawberry-blonde boyfriend. I roll my eyes with a small chuckle as the two hug each other, acting like it's been more than three hours since they last saw each other.

Grabbing a tray, Julie and I pick out an assortment of food items, including sandwiches, chips, apples, and even freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies. We pay for our food and drinks (I picked water, while Julie chose a milk carton), then walk over to the Team USA table.

Everyone, excluding Dwayne, Dean, and Charlie, is sitting down, eagerly shoving food into their mouths. I set my stuff down next to Goldberg, plopping into the uncomfortable seat.

"I see that you girls decided to grace us with your presence," Jesse laughs as all the boys nod while chuckling.

I flash my most polite and innocent smile. "Yes, so you'd better choose your words carefully before I make sure you can't see anyone, again." The other guys' faces turn red as they hold in their laughter, covering their mouths to prevent it from slipping out.

Jesse opens his mouth, then shuts it, then opens, then shuts, like a fish underwater. I smirk and turn my attention fully on the food in front of me, ready to stuff my face with it.

The rest of the meal is normal, except for the fact that Jesse still hasn't said a word yet. I smack Goldberg's hand as he tries to snatch my cookie, but my glare sends him cowering.

"Hey, guess what!" Connie exclaims suddenly. We glance at each other before looking back at the dark-haired girl. "They have a game room! With video games and air hockey and ping pong and-," she rambles, her hands waving about in the air.

Guy calmly interjects, stopping her babbling. "Okay, okay, Con, we get it," he says with a smile. Leaning towards the middle of the table, Guy adds, "Who's up for it?"

The entire table shoots from their seats, voicing agreement, and excitement as they hurry off to the game room. Me, not so much.

I stand up and throw my access trash away extra slow, waiting for my teammates to be out of sight. Once I'm in the clear, I head over to the entrance of the cafeteria, hoping to escape having to join them in the game room.

My luck sucks, however.

As I turn the corner, I slam into a chest, almost knocking me to the ground. The other victim of the collision grabs my arm and helps me gain my balance. Looking up to thank whoever it was, I come face-to-face with none other than, my brother.

He drops my arm, scratching his neck as I divert my eyes, focusing on the ugly spotted-white tile flooring. "Uh, thanks," I say quickly, attempting to move past him.

Dean has none of that though, and he stops my escape. "Meg, we need to talk," he pleads, a desperate look coming into his eyes, making me raise an eyebrow. "Please?"

I sigh, shoulders drooping, and I cross my arms over my chest. "I'm ready to hear it," I lean against the wall, preparing myself mentally, physically, and emotionally for what Dean has to tell me.

He places his hands on my shoulders, looking straight into my tree-brown eyes. "Listen, Meg. I messed up. Big time! I was stupid and ignorant and a, a-"

"An ass?" I fill in the blank with my opinion.

"Yeah. I was an absolute ass to you. I know how you feel about that," he pauses. "stuff. I should've been more considerate to your feelings. And ditching you for Fulton! God, I'm an idiot!" He runs his hands down his face. "I didn't even think about how you would feel if I left you at the motel yourself! I assumed that you'd be okay with it, since I would've been okay with it if I was you, but I'm not. I'm really, really sorry, Meg."