Jovencorn: Allentown [Song-Based One Shot AU]

[this is based on the song 'Allentown' by Billy Joel, I made this to try song based writing. Remember, this is an AU, so not everything is the same as in real life]

Well we're living here in Allentown
And they're closing all the factories down

"I regret to inform you, but we're going to have to let you go." The boss said.

"What do you mean?" Joven asked.

"We've been experiencing some problems. The company's bound to go out of business any day." The boss responded. "It's for the best. We're doing this for everyone."

Joven got up and stormed out of the office.

Out in Bethlehem they're killing time
Filling out forms
Standing in line

"Let's hope I have some luck with this." Lasercorn said.

He'd been on the search for a new job, and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania may be the answer to his problems.

He was in a line, waiting for an interview. He filled out his final application piece, stepping up to the window.

Well our fathers fought the Second World War
Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore

Joven scanned his room. Pictures of his family members were everywhere.

There were pictures of his grandpa on the beach, but also in his army uniform. His whole family, not including him, had gone into the army. His dad was born during the Cold War, joining the army when he was old enough. His grandpa was a big part of the efforts on World War 2.

That gave him an idea.

Met our mothers in the USO
Asked them to dance
Danced with them slow

"Well, that waste of time." Lasercorn said with a sigh.

He headed back to his hometown, Allentown.

"There's always the armed forces." A voice that reminded him of one of his best friends said in the back of his head.

He remember how his grandparents and parents met, both of them surprisingly at military-sponsored dances, when they had come back from war. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to check it out.

And we're living here in Allentown

As Joven walked to find out more about the military, Lasercorn's bus stopped nearby, and he got off.

But the restlessness was handed down
And it's getting very hard to stay

"Why do I even stay here?" Joven asked himself. "I don't have a purpose."

Well we're waiting here in Allentown
For the Pennsylvania we never found

"The rest of my family had luck in this state, this city." Lasercorn said to himself. "Why can't I?"

For the promises our teachers gave
If we worked hard
If we behaved

"I thought if I acted right, I'd have a good life." Joven said.

He noticed a man across the street, a frown on that man's face as well. He contemplated walking over to him.

So the graduations hang on the wall
But they never really helped us at all

"Stupid college." Lasercorn mumbled. "Hasn't done any good for me."

No they never taught us what was real

"Hello?" Joven called out, following the sad-looking man.

Iron and coal
And chromium steel

Lasercorn looked at the newspaper stand near him, not hearing the man behind him.

'Allentown: We're running out of profit!'

Lasercorn hung his head lower.

And we're waiting here in Allentown

Joven watched as the man sat on a bench, and he sat next to him.

But they've taken all the coal from the ground
And the union people crawled away

"Hey?" Lasercorn said in a questioning tone.

"Are you okay?" The man asks.

"Not really." Lasercorn responded, hang his head.

"Me neither." The man responds. "Let's be cranky together."

Every child had a pretty good shot
To get at least as far as their old man got

"What's the matter?" Joven asks.

"I just can't seem to find a job." The other man said. "And I need one. Soon."

Joven nodded. "So do I."

But something happened on the way to that place
They threw an American flag in our face

"We could search for a job together?" The man suggests.

"Sure." Lasercorn said, giving in.

Well I'm living here in Allentown
And it's hard to keep a good man down
But I won't be getting up today

It was the week after the job hunt. Still, nothing. Joven was worried.

"Let's just take a road trip and never look back." Lasercorn suggested.

In the short time they'd known each other, they exchanged phone numbers and names.

"I'm up for it." Joven replies.

"Get packing then!" Lasercorn yells.

And it's getting very hard to stay
And we're living here in Allentown

"We stay for one more week, then we leave for our job-less adventure." Lasercorn says.

"Our last week in Allentown." Joven states.

"We'll come back." Lasercorn says.

Before anything else happens, Lasercorn walks over to Joven and plants a kiss on his nose. Joven grasps Lasercorn's chin, kissing him on the lips.

"God, I'm so happy you did that." Lasercorn said.

They both grin.

Allentown may not be the best match for them, but they're the right match for each other.