Hello is a word that can save a life

Dedication: to my depressed, lonely, and sad, friends. Or anyone who feels that way. This is also for those who have people who are sad and lonely all around them. Well no, this story is to everyone. The moral of this story is important, so pay attention. (Note: I realize that average people can often not help others with depression, and plenty of times people need more professional help than a friend can give to help them out, but that's not the point I'm trying to make in this story. Thanks for reading!)

Once upon a time, I met a lonely girl. I saw her every day at school. She mirrored me, long brown hair, green eyes, average build. But she wasn't me.

Every day after school I mentally debated whether I would go up to her and befriend her or not. Tonight I went home and thought about it. She seemed nice, I could use a new friend. Maybe she could too. Tomorrow I'll talk to her. I finish these thoughts as I walk in the door, and throw my book bag on the couch.

As I brush my teeth before bed I go through the possible routes my life could go. I could grow up and get married, have a family. I could spend my life saving people, pushing relationships aside to save people - quite a sacrifice. I could live my life for working and being successful, be a content lone person. I don't mind being alone. But maybe someone else does mind being alone, and maybe I'm meant for them. Life is such an interesting thing to think about. Anything can happen. Once I'm laying in bed, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

*****

"Didn't you hear?" Someone whispers to another in the hallway of this old school. "That girl, you know um, Haley, she committed suicide last night." What?

I hear everyone in the hallways whispering and talking amongst themselves, and I drag my eyes towards the locker that I usually see the quiet girl standing near. My heart sinks when I see only a locker, and some people crowded near a locker close to it. This time I don't see a lonely girl, looking down at her feet, or examining her wrists. I never got to talk to her. All of a sudden it hits me.

I could've saved her.

What would, or could, have happened if I had talked to her? I start panicking, and all of a sudden I feel as if someone put a thousand pounds on my shoulders that I can't ever remove. As soon as I come to that realization I can't bare to be around anyone. I have to get out of here. I try to walk out the school doors, and just leave, but as soon as I push on the door I can't see anymore.

I lose eyesight for about 10 seconds, and all of a sudden I'm in a white room. It's empty except for some speakers built into the ceiling.

"Meredith, why didn't you talk to her?" I hear a voice. I start to panic, but I remember that staying calm is safer, and if I want to think straight I have to stay calm. Minutes pass and I hear nothing else. Eventually I try to answer the question.

Why didn't I talk to her? It was so simple. I could've said a simple hello, and I wouldn't be... well wherever I am.

Why didn't I talk to her? I'm not shy. I just kept putting it off, and I missed my opportunity. She could've been an amazing person...

Why didn't I talk to her? Well, because I thought she'd be here today, and I was wrong.

As soon as I answer the question out loud to myself, I hear something come from the speakers again.

"What would you do differently if you could go back in time?"

This time I answer right away.

"I would've said hello..." as I say the words I sink to the ground.

As soon as I answer the question in full, I go blind again, and 10 seconds later I open my eyes to find I'm simply laying in bed. I take my hand to my forehead and wipe off sweat, I've just woken up from a nightmare. My alarm clock is beeping, and I hop out of bed. I know what I have to do today.