Chapter Twenty Four

"Wow. You look gorgeous." They arrive at exactly five o'clock. Chris picks me up and spins me around and I laugh, forgetting all of my anxiety for a moment.
"Hey, don't mess up her hair until after I get pictures!"
"MOM!"

I slide into the limo next to Chris, with Harrison and Taylor to our left. We head down the street towards the restaurant that Chris had taken me on our first date. I keep running my hands over my dress, smoothing out invisible wrinkles. Chris notices that something is up and grabs my hands, kissing my knuckles. I look up at him and smiled meekly.

"Are you alright, babe?" He whispers softly, trying not to concern the other couple.
"Yeah, I'm just a little tired, that's all."
"Don't worry, you can lean on me all night."
"I might just take you up on that offer."

My mind suddenly shoots to Evan, who will be spending prom alone. According to Taylor, he is going, but he has no date. After Christine, he kinda seemed to step out of the dating realm.

"We're here! I reserved us a table." Harrison is the most excited out of all of us, and you can tell that Taylor thinks it is adorable.
"Alright Hare-Bear." Taylor cooes. "Let's head on in!" I laugh at my best friend's goofy smile, and we head in as a happy, laughing group of friends. But I can't help but feel like something is missing, or that I am missing something.

"That food was soooo good." Harrison sits rubbing his stomach in the limo. "I should not have eaten that much."
"If you throw up on me, I swear--"
"I won't throw up on you Tay!" I laugh. Cutest couple ever.
"Bro, you would never live that one down!" Chris joins in on the conversation, and we spend the rest of the car ride coming up with the worst possible scenarios for senior prom.

"Okay, okay, how about this one. So like they are slow dancing, right? And somehow the button on the guy's sleeve gets caught on her dress and rips the fabric--" It goes on and on like this for what seems like hours, until we finally pull up to the venue.

"Taylor, we actually did it. We survived until senior prom." We have been dreaming about this day since second grade.
"Yeah, Sarah. We did!" We hug, and our boyfriends simultaneously roll their eyes.

"Let's go let's go let's go!" Taylor grabs Harrison's hand and skips along, dragging him behind her.
"Shall we?" Chris holds out his hand, and I take it, following him inside.